Door Seal Channel

Hi

I need to replace the channel that the TR4 outer doors seal fits into, where I have repaired the B-post, sill and bottom of the A-post.

I'm planning to fix the channel with rivets, but does anyone have any tips for shaping the channel round the bends etc. without distorting it?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

good question.

If you just bash away and try and bend the seal channel it will simply collapse. 

Not sure what is the professional way to do this but I would consider either filling the straight channel with molten lead and then attempting to do the bend.

You may still need to dress down the open section.   Once bent re-heat the lead and clean out.

You could also consider inserting a shaped section of Aluminium and do as above. Again melt it to remove it.

Roger

Its very difficult to get those bends in correctly and when I did mine all those years ago I used a "T" shaped former that would fit into the channel and just carefully warmed and bent it, its what we had to do years ago to replace the same channel on Series 1 XJ6. If your going to rivet it on then be aware that you`ll need to notch in the back of the rubber at each rivet point to allow the rubber to sit correctly in the channel, good luck as its a difficult job to get right and if the channel is in the wrong place then the door wont fit. FWIW when fitting the channel dont forget to leave a gap at each end of the sill to allow any water that goes in over it to escape (The rubber is still continuous)  and when fitting the metal channel apply a very thin smear of seam sealer on the contact face underneath. Dont put too much primer/paint on the channel either or it will chip when trying to fit the rubber.

Most people dont tend to refit the channel when restoring and opt for a flap seal like this from Woolies which is the same as original TR5/6 door seal just without the fur. https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1285/door-seal

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I found a piece of plywood (might have been MDF) that just fitted into the channel, cut a piece to the curve needed and bent the channel round that. The channel needed a little bit of fettling afterwards but not much. I brazed them on.

Then I fitted the TR6 type of seal...

Pete