Assuming then that the connectors on the seats have just two wires (red and black):21861259_seatcircuit.jpg.2991d2ac97b5a0984acc25579121c3f7.jpg 

Edited by RobH
clarified
3 hours ago, RobH said:

Assuming then that the connectors on the seats have just two wires (red and black):21861259_seatcircuit.jpg.2991d2ac97b5a0984acc25579121c3f7.jpg 

wow - thank you.  Pretty sure that even I can follow that.

Really appreciate the help.  

4 hours ago, RobH said:

Neat!

i used two relays so i could switch them on individually and they’re not engaged all the time the ignition is on.

steve

A relay for each seat can prevent the switches from seeing full seat heater current.

Many of the seat heater kits come with switches or relays that implement two levels of heat.

Ed

Edited by ed_h
9 hours ago, ed_h said:

A relay for each seat can prevent the switches from seeing full seat heater current.

The current is only around 5A per seat so the seat switches will be fine handling that without relays Ed.  It's only the ignition switch that needs saving from the extra current since it carries enough already.  

I don't know whether the MX5 seats that Peter has, have the intermediate connections which allow series/parallel connection of the squab and back pads which would give two levels of heat, but you can certainly do that with the separate pads sold on e-bay. 

Edited by RobH
1 hour ago, RobH said:

series/parallel connection of the squab and back pads which would give two levels of heat

That’s an ingenious idea Rob !

Late to the party, but a few years ago, I moved heated leather seats from a Honda Accord to a VW Camper. It was an interesting project since the driers seat also had powered height and rake controls that I also incorporated.

The attached wiring diagram shows the connections. and Like RobH i certainly made use of a relay to ensure it could only be used when the ignition was on.

The seat heating is the same in each seat and the additional relay and wiring relate to the seat position controls.

Kind regards

Tony

Seat Wiring layout.pdf