Sprint and Hillclimb Championship

Just to let everyone know that we have now had our regulations for the 2022 season approved and they will be updated on the web soon.  I've attached them here in case anyone wants them in advance. Also before they are udated on the web, feel free to use the 2021 registration forms as they haven't actually changed.  We now have 30 rounds to compete in this year with several new venues incuding the Lotus test track at Hethel, and the race circuits at Cadwell Park and Lyden HIll.  If you were thinking of having a go, now couldn't be a better time.

Larry

2022 regs master.pdf

Edited by Larryjc
typo

Whoop whoop Thanks Larry.

come on folks sign up and have a go. You don’t have to do all of them

try a couple local to you to see if you like it.

we are a great bunch of triumph enthusiast ( doesn’t even have to be a TR !!)

think of some of the classic and famous tracks or hills that you can say “I’ve competed there” 

shelsley, goodwood, Aintree 

32 minutes ago, BRENDA1 said:

Hopefully this year we can have spectators going to some of the events.

Mike redrose group 

That would be great. 
each local group having a run out to their local venue.

see you there M and C :D

20 hours ago, Hamish said:

Whoop whoop Thanks Larry.

come on folks sign up and have a go. You don’t have to do all of them

try a couple local to you to see if you like it.

we are a great bunch of triumph enthusiast ( doesn’t even have to be a TR !!)

think of some of the classic and famous tracks or hills that you can say “I’ve competed there” 

shelsley, goodwood, Aintree 

What about Doune?

I sometimes think I am missing out because I live a few hundred miles too far north. I am afraid my days of tramping up and down the M74 and M6 at unearthly hours to get to classic hillclimb tracks are over.

Prescot 1982 and Harewood 1988.

Cliff

img016.jpg

img017.jpg

Great pictures Cliff. 

a lot of TR’s do Bo’ness even though it’s not a champs round

Hi Hamish,

I did try to have Bo'ness included in the TRR Championship, but issues with the MSUK and distance for competitors from south of the border meant it was not to be. We did manage to have a good turnout of TRs in the TR Register class at Bo'ness with a few members making the trek north over the years. Attached are some images of my entries at Bo'ness, including 2999F in its guise as Jim Clark's TR3 (RSC 190) for the Jim Clark Bo'ness tribute in 2019, which seems a long time ago now. Larry and I have had some communication regarding a round of the TRR Championship at Doune in 2023, but I hope to be competing at Doune and Bo'ness this year all things being equal.

Cliff

Image 3.jpg

Stag 7.jpg

img018.jpg

For all of you north of the border, I am looking at possilbe rounds there next year, the problem with Bo Ness is that for some weird reason MUK won't let championships run there - makes no sense to me. 

Hi Larry,

It would be great to have at least one round of the TRR Championship in Scotland in 2023. When I was on the Bo'ness Revival Board it was an annual request to the MSA / MUK to allow Championship rounds at the track, as you say the reasons given to us were baffling. With reference to the TRR Championship in particular, one of the conditions of the track licence is that slicks are not permitted, which could be an issue. Another factor is that Roger was dubious as to the number of TRR members who would enter Bo'ness as the track is relatively short and a distance away for entrants from south of the border. Given the issues at Bo'ness that is why I suggested a round at Doune to yourself.

As it currently stands I think we would struggle to get more than two or three TRs from Scotland to enter any Hillclimbs this year, perhaps if the TRR made a concerted effort to encourage members to have a go that number would increase has it has done in the past, we have had some great turnouts of TRs at Hillclimbs in Scotland.

Attached, hopefully, is footage of Bo'ness, the TRs are about thirty minutes in.

Bo'ness Revival 2014 - YouTube.url

On 1/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, BRENDA1 said:

Hopefully this year we can have spectators going to some of the events.

Mike redrose group 

Something I intended to do last season but had a couple of clashes. Must try harder!

When and where will the events be publicised?

Miles

Edited by MilesA
48 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Something I intended to do last season but had a couple of clashes. Must try harder!

When and where will the events be publicised?

Miles

Miles

do have a go. 
this is where the info will be updated. 
https://www.tr-register.co.uk/motorsport

and this is the events list. As it stands at the moment. 

2022 programme.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 10:33 AM, Hamish said:

Miles

do have a go. 
this is where the info will be updated. 

and this is the events list. As it stands at the moment. 

2022 programme.pdf 67.22 kB · 12 downloads

Hi Hamish, 

I'm planning to have a go in my TR6. 

Looking to do Aintree, Curborough and Poss Shelsley. 

I need some help on fitting my black timing strip and fitment of towing eyes. 

I used to compete in the BTRDA Gold star rally championship doing well in class in an ex-works Pug 205 1.9 group A car. 

Hope to see you out. 

Cheers 

10 hours ago, Conradski said:

Hi Hamish, 

I'm planning to have a go in my TR6. 

Looking to do Aintree, Curborough and Poss Shelsley. 

I need some help on fitting my black timing strip and fitment of towing eyes. 

I used to compete in the BTRDA Gold star rally championship doing well in class in an ex-works Pug 205 1.9 group A car. 

Hope to see you out. 

Cheers 

Hi and welcome those are my go to events as well very different  

the timing strut can be home made see the MSUK “blue book” section 10.10 for dimensions and fitting height.

sheet aluminium and Matt black paint.

it needs to be fitted so it’s the most forward part of the car  

some moderns tape them on with a mass of gaffer/duct tape

i prefer to bolt it on and use a bumper bracket  

Tow straps - I use these again bolted to different bumper mounts front and back  search the web for cheaper ones

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/omp-fixed-tow-strap-ompeb-578/?istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptwlltlm&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAiAjoeRBhAJEiwAYY3nDFyLuPROkgFZ6EakPPnRlxBF8VFpsoB7KiNM7mHI6kY5jRFl-SIxARoC2lkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And a sticker arrow “tow” pointing to tow strap.

Check here

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/uploads/2021/02/03/Getting-started-2021.pdf

And get signed up so our coordinator Larry can advise and share emails on entering events

you need to get onto these ASAP as events fill fast especially after Covid  everyone want to be out  

you have to commit now not wait.

check out TR Action the club mag  there are motorsport updates there as well  

and enjoy

Cheers Hamish 

I have plenty of 'tow' stickers left from rally days and a timing strut made by a dear departed friend of mine, who designed parts of the Sprintex supercharger. 

I'll get registered over the weekend and enter a few. 

I have the MAC challenge à scenic tour that end with a run (non-comp) up Shelsley, in April. 

Look forward to meeting up. 

Yours Aye

On 3/5/2022 at 12:20 AM, Conradski said:

I'll get registered over the weekend and enter a few. 

Good fella,

Now how about a few more?  We've 3 ladies and 30 chaps registered so far. https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2022/02/0258/2022-Sprint-and-Hillclimb-Entrants

Our best year in recent times was about 40 entrants I think.

Kev

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

I've been needing my doctor's approval every year since I was 45!   This year, Motorsport UK want an opinion from my cardiologist!  Heart breaking!

Hope not John. 
pity MSUK need such ‘evidence’ whilst the health services are so pressed. 

Yay! Licience issued, signed up.

Excellent info in the 'Getting started' guide with helmet standards etc. Any recommendations on where to purchase helmet and other stuff?

Jerry

Hi Jerry

The helmet is the main thing and has to be flameproof. 
msuk “blue book” will give you the standards and stickers to look out for.

sadly motorcycle helmets don’t cut it however good my arai is !!!

don’t know your financial status but buy new !

I tried headtec first but it didn’t suit my head

https://hedtec.co.uk

so went to bell and their sport 5  via demon tweeks as they are not far away from me.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/

The race suits vary in price massively but again just ensure it meets the standards. 
same goes for gloves.

footwear is your own choice I would have more leather than plastic though that you can drive in.

hans devices is optional at the moment but consider a helmet where they can be fitted.

the bigger suppliers are good at mail order but ideally try stuff on.

I was luck for Xmas and got a full set of fireproof underwear longjohn and long sleeve type inc socks but again optional.

however and it’s up to you

Sometimes second hand race suits come up on eBay. Look for the little used, one event or one season offers where the person tried motorsport and gave up ?! 

as to the car 

Check our guide and the blue book.

metal fire wall is normally the biggest job but at the cost of some Ali sheet intumescent sealer and time fitting it.

the timing beam breaker on the front of the car. Again an easy diy job Ali sheet and black paint 

some yellow insulation tape on Neg lead to battery.

oil catch bottle to any open engine breathers. Nothing special here.

mark the ignition key off and arrow 

couple tow hitches one each front and Mack and a tow sticker adjacent ( eBay for both hitch and sticker)

that’s off the top of my head

and welcome and enjoy

Ps

i don’t do Facebook but the club champs do find a local racer there to help or ask larry the champs coordinator.

Edited by Hamish
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips Hamish. Most of it now sorted. I didn't realise that the helmet outer dimensions would be so much bigger than my track day helmet, so I'm taking the one I selected back to see if they are all the same, as it will make left handers a bit of a head-banging experience.

Race suit delivered today, I can recommend AWS racewear if you need a made to measure suit. The website is basic, but get in touch and you will find them very helpful and reasonably priced. http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk/index.html

Jerry

Hamish's list is most comprehensive!   I don't know hillclimb regs, so I looked them up, and found:

10.7.3. An external circuit breaker to K.8 is mandatory for all
cars except open cars of periods A – E (Nomenclature and
Definitions) and cars licensed for road use (when it is
recommended).

A-E covers 1905-1961, does that include a TR5?

Me, I would very much recommend an FIA cut-out!

The yellow tape on the battery earth lead is a relic of the days before cut-outs!   Marshals had boltcutters!

John