The vinyl on the 6 H frame has begun to disintegrate. Forgivable after 53 years.

Got a leather cover for it. 

Unsure if to strip to bare metal and apply directly or over a thin layer of upholstery foam?

Or should I put the cover over the existing tatty cover with a bit of filler where required?

Just done the same job in vinyl. Stripped to bear metal and applied new foam as below worked out well.

Pictures before I covered with vinyl.

IMG_1795.jpeg

IMG_1797.jpeg

Edited by PodOne

Hi Peter 

Had it on the shelf for a long time its 5mm thick and from memory a closed cell EVA foam which I was able to "sand" to get the edges nice and round. So quite firm once attached. Purchased off e Bay.

Andy 

Hi all - I've been experimenting with this problem for a while and it's the same for the crash pads, switch plinth and to a lesser extent the dash top.

I've found leaving the foam intact as far as possible is easiest. I cut and open out any split plastic coverings with a sharp stanley knife until there is no raised area left, and then remove any crumbing foam underneath. Then I use a wood rot hardener ( From Toolstation/Screwfix) to soak into the surrounding foam  to make it harder - you need to allow this to dry but don't oversoak it too much as it reacts a little with the foam and causes it to swell - once cured, I trim the area back to level.

Then I fill the damaged areas with a flexible rubber type filler which is available from body shops ( used for repairing non metal bumpers) and sand tom a smooth finish matching all the relevant contours. You now have a solid and even base to cover. I use a local trimmer who has developed his own templates, and he uses a stitched seam along edges and contour changes to cover the items. Personally I like the stitched edges as I think it gives a more quality look and feel to the end result but I accept some people don't - I know this thread is about H frames but I successfully use this method on all the other bits as well. I've had some teething problems in finding the right glues but I think this is now cracked.

Some photos attached of bits completed

Cheers Rich

IMG_2792 Resized.JPG

IMG_2793 - resized.JPG

IMG_3694.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_7172 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7173 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7174 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7175 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7177 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7178 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7179 - Resized.JPG

34 minutes ago, stillp said:

They do look good Rich. I filled to crumbling foam with silicone sealant and covered it with vinyl, but rather poorly. Yours look much better.

Pete

13 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Hi all - I've been experimenting with this problem for a while and it's the same for the crash pads, switch plinth and to a lesser extent the dash top.

I've found leaving the foam intact as far as possible is easiest. I cut and open out any split plastic coverings with a sharp stanley knife until there is no raised area left, and then remove any crumbing foam underneath. Then I use a wood rot hardener ( From Toolstation/Screwfix) to soak into the surrounding foam  to make it harder - you need to allow this to dry but don't oversoak it too much as it reacts a little with the foam and causes it to swell - once cured, I trim the area back to level.

Then I fill the damaged areas with a flexible rubber type filler which is available from body shops ( used for repairing non metal bumpers) and sand tom a smooth finish matching all the relevant contours. You now have a solid and even base to cover. I use a local trimmer who has developed his own templates, and he uses a stitched seam along edges and contour changes to cover the items. Personally I like the stitched edges as I think it gives a more quality look and feel to the end result but I accept some people don't - I know this thread is about H frames but I successfully use this method on all the other bits as well. I've had some teething problems in finding the right glues but I think this is now cracked.

Some photos attached of bits completed

Cheers Rich

IMG_2792 Resized.JPG

IMG_2793 - resized.JPG

IMG_3694.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_7172 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7173 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7174 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7175 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7177 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7178 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7179 - Resized.JPG

7 hours ago, Peter Wade said:

Rich they look great just hope mine looks as good, what adhesive did you use?.

Peter

Peter - I settled on Alpha AF 178 Contact Adhesive from Woollies ( on Stuart's recommendation) or if you need to adjust the covers during glueing,  Alpha Thixofix non drip contact adhesive, again from Woollies

Cheers Rich