Tinned fruit is a really healthy option on your cereal - or is it?

I really get pee’d off when I think I’m doing all the right things to protect my health, then lo and behold find that when you really look into it, consuming a can of skinned, tinned grapefruit for example may be doing you more harm than good!

Looking further into the production of this, I wondered how they get such perfectly peeled segments of grapefruit to us, all inside a neat tin can. A TV company, who produced a program called ‘ Food Unwrapped’ apparently visited a grapefruit canning factory in Swaziland, and found that when the fruit arrived at the factory it was steam blanched to soften the skin. Fair enough. The article then explains it then goes for peeling, but not by machine, but 250 African ladies using their fingernails to peel it. Once the fruit is segmented they then soak it in what is described as food grade (wtf sic) hydrochloric acid. (Food grade hydrochloric acid….Really?!..) This removed the pith, but left the fruit segments contaminated with the acid, so to get rid of it, ( why get rid of it if it’s FOOD GRADE!) they then soak it again in caustic soda. So despite what they say, you can bet that some residue somewhere of hydrochloric acid AND caustic soda will still stay in the fruit. Then it is canned into a tin which may well be plastic lined. The aluminium tins, to prevent corrosion are lined with Bisphenol or BPA, which can apparently narrow arteries and could cause cardiovascular issues, and, according to an article in The Guardian, has all the molecular characteristics of Obesogen, a term to describe chemicals which potentially make us fatter, and which disrupt proteins that protect the heart. Unfortunately BPA free tins might not be Bisphenol free, a toxin to embryos.

So when you next walk around your Supermarket, don’t be fooled into thinking you’re doing something healthy when you drop a can of fruit into your trolley.  It’s no surprise that around age 60 we all start to migrate towards our doctor’s surgeries. It’s time to go 100% organic or grow your own! 

Kevin

24 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

I really get pee’d off when I think I’m doing all the right things to protect my health, then lo and behold find that when you really look into it, consuming a can of skinned, tinned grapefruit for example may be doing you more harm than good!

Looking further into the production of this, I wondered how they get such perfectly peeled segments of grapefruit to us, all inside a neat tin can. A TV company, who produced a program called ‘ Food Unwrapped’ apparently visited a grapefruit canning factory in Swaziland, and found that when the fruit arrived at the factory it was steam blanched to soften the skin. Fair enough. The article then explains it then goes for peeling, but not by machine, but 250 African ladies using their fingernails to peel it. Once the fruit is segmented they then soak it in what is described as food grade (wtf sic) hydrochloric acid. (Food grade hydrochloric acid….Really?!..) This removed the pith, but left the fruit segments contaminated with the acid, so to get rid of it, ( why get rid of it if it’s FOOD GRADE!) they then soak it again in caustic soda. So despite what they say, you can bet that some residue somewhere of hydrochloric acid AND caustic soda will still stay in the fruit. Then it is canned into a tin which may well be plastic lined. The aluminium tins, to prevent corrosion are lined with Bisphenol or BPA, which can apparently narrow arteries and could cause cardiovascular issues, and, according to an article in The Guardian, has all the molecular characteristics of Obesogen, a term to describe chemicals which potentially make us fatter, and which disrupt proteins that protect the heart. Unfortunately BPA free tins might not be Bisphenol free, a toxin to embryos.

So when you next walk around your Supermarket, don’t be fooled into thinking you’re doing something healthy when you drop a can of fruit into your trolley.  It’s no surprise that around age 60 we all start to migrate towards our doctor’s surgeries. It’s time to go 100% organic or grow your own! 

Kevin

One word answer Why?

Buy fresh fruit not canned.

Stuart.

Well found Rob. The biggest irony is that if you approach your pharmacist in a supermarket and ask for, say, NightNurse, they’ll ask you a range of questions about any underlying health conditions and medications before they’ll give it to you. Once in your basket, you then go off and casually pick up a can of grapefruit.. !

Kevin

2 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

The cereal may have questionable health benefits - unless it tastes and looks like pulverised cardboard.

Loaded with sugars, up to 25%, and refined carbohydrates which turn to sugar during digestion. Our dog developed type 1 diabetes after an operation, and within 3 months had cataracts in both eyes ( now removed). Sugar is dangerous stuff. I usually eat porridge or All Bran, but steer clear of popular cereals, and now tinned fruit!

10 hours ago, John Morrison said:

...used to like tinned tomatoes, and thought that any tom was good for grown ups,

transpires that not tinned...

When I was out walking with my brother Jim
Somebody threw a tomato at him
Tomatoes are juicy and don’t brake the skin
But this one was specially wrapped in a tin.

This proves that tinned tomatoes can be dangerous when in the wrong hands.

Charlie.

2 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Charlie.

Yeah……I would go with that Charlie.:rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by boxofbits
9 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Charlie.

Lol 

19 hours ago, John Morrison said:

used to like tinned tomatoes, and thought that any tom was good for grown ups,

transpire sthat not tinned, something acidic in the toms, eats the lining of the can, and you are history.

John.

Hello John

Sorry to correct you but tomatoes and acidic fruit is canned in special cans with an internal lacquer to prevent the acids attacking the metal. At normal room temperature, it takes a year or two for problems to begin to arise. If on the other hand you store them in a hot environment then the chemical reaction is faster and you get hydrogen gas and a swollen can. You can easily tell if a can does not have a vacuum inside by tapping the top with a pencil. A ringing note and there is a vacuum. A dull thud and there isn't. Tinned tomatoes (and grapefruit) are perfectly safe but you should eat them within 12 months because the longer they are kept the more the acid in the fruit has time to work on the metal of the container. If canned fruit is kept for a long time then you will get hydrogen produced and metal from the can dissolved. Canned vegetables are ok for a couple of years while canned fish can last 5 years or more. After these times the quality is not as good. There has been years of research done on the safety of canned foods and measurements of trace metals etc. In a tropical 3rd world country given the choice I would eat canned or freshly cooked food rather than fresh fruit and salad. I have seen first hand what happens to people who have ignored this advice. Their face turns a strange shade of green and they spend several days in the bathroom being ill from both ends if you know what I mean.

Keith

Keith

On 1/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, RobH said:

If you want something to worry about, be careful eating any grapefruit, tinned or fresh,  if you are on some common medications:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicines/does-grapefruit-affect-my-medicine/

My wife is suffering from cancer and yes we discovered that grapefruit was a no no with her medication, the oncology team specifically highlighted it. 

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, keith1948 said:

Hello John

Sorry to correct you but tomatoes and acidic fruit is canned in special cans with an internal lacquer to prevent the acids attacking the metal. At normal room temperature, it takes a year or two for problems to begin to arise. If on the other hand you store them in a hot environment then the chemical reaction is faster and you get hydrogen gas and a swollen can. You can easily tell if a can does not have a vacuum inside by tapping the top with a pencil. A ringing note and there is a vacuum. A dull thud and there isn't. Tinned tomatoes (and grapefruit) are perfectly safe but you should eat them within 12 months because the longer they are kept the more the acid in the fruit has time to work on the metal of the container. If canned fruit is kept for a long time then you will get hydrogen produced and metal from the can dissolved. Canned vegetables are ok for a couple of years while canned fish can last 5 years or more. After these times the quality is not as good. There has been years of research done on the safety of canned foods and measurements of trace metals etc. In a tropical 3rd world country given the choice I would eat canned or freshly cooked food rather than fresh fruit and salad. I have seen first hand what happens to people who have ignored this advice. Their face turns a strange shade of green and they spend several days in the bathroom being ill from both ends if you know what I mean.

Keith

Keith

Cucumbers are notorious for not filtering out the nasties during the growing process; eat at your  peril.

I discovered this when I worked in Indonesia in the 1970s

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

And yet cans recovered from Scotts ill fated polar expedition were deemed still Ok after more than 70 yrs.

Stuart.

6 minutes ago, stuart said:

And yet cans recovered from Scotts ill fated polar expedition were deemed still Ok after more than 70 yrs.

Stuart.

Hello Stuart

The cans recovered from Scotts expedition (bully beef) had been deep frozen and that product does not attack tinplate in the same way as fruit. Chemical reactions are much slower at very low temperatures. Visually the product looked 'ok' as you say but that doesn't necessarily say it was safe to eat. It is quite possible the tin and lead levels would have been high by todays standards. Cans in those days had lead solder whereas cans today don't. However I remember in the 1970's coming across large hand made tins about a foot square with a round lid soldered on the top from China containing bamboo shoots. The solder used was lead. On a similar note I went to a cheese producer in France in the 1990's who used large copper vats where the plates of copper were lead soldered together. I asked if there were lead and copper ions in the cheese and I was told it adds to the flavour.

Coming back to the first post, sometimes it is unwise to delve too deeply into food production. The photograph of French wine producers in Bordeaux back in the day treading grapes was something I haven't forgotten. When I say 'treading' I mean 3 naked men up to their armpits in a large barrel squashing the grapes.  I quoted this image to a public health inspector who was worried that a UK cider producer was using windfall apples. The apples were washed anyway because even the ones on the trees could have had bird droppings and dust on them.

Keith

p.s. if you haven't already guessed I have over 30 years experience in food microbiology, food hygiene and food processing and I could relate many tales....

5 hours ago, boxofbits said:

I’m kinda glad I don’t drink wine either! :mellow::lol:

My wife is allergic to sodium meta bisulphate E223. For years she has had allergic reactions but now one could find out what the cause was . After a drinking session with the neighbours and his home made wine …..major allergy reaction , ambulance called and given an adrenaline jab and then to hospital . The neighbour used E223 when brewing his wine and (I think ) cleaning bottles etc . E223 is in a lot of foods ….burgers , pickles , sauces , squash …..We avoid E223 at all times now and …thankfully no further episodes …but she does carry an epipen at all times . 

14 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

My wife is allergic to sodium meta bisulphate E223. For years she has had allergic reactions but now one could find out what the cause was . After a drinking session with the neighbours and his home made wine …..major allergy reaction , ambulance called and given an adrenaline jab and then to hospital . The neighbour used E223 when brewing his wine and (I think ) cleaning bottles etc . E223 is in a lot of foods ….burgers , pickles , sauces , squash …..We avoid E223 at all times now and …thankfully no further episodes …but she does carry an epipen at all times . 

The use of sodium metabisulphite to stop wine fermentation.was invented at the Food Research Centre at Chipping Campden. Hence the Campden Tablet. I still have one of the hand blown glass jars that used to contain some of the tablets made in the 1940's. I make my own wine but don't bother with Campden tablets or the powdered form. You don't need them if you make wine properly. 

My son in law is allergic to elderflower wine.

Keith

1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

Good news you got to the root cause.

John.

What could be nicer and good for you as well than a cheese salad sandwich, on brown of course?    I bought one while on a road trip, in its greased cardboard and plastic triangular container.   And forgot about it.

Months later, I found it under the car seat.     It is sarcophagus it looked absolutely fine,the salad was not wilted,the cheese was not mouldy.    No, I did not eat it, but it even smelt ok when I cracked the coffin open.

I'm sure they fill that container with a gas, nitrogen, CO2 or something that preserves a sandwich.

John

1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

Here’s a list of the most hazardous E numbers. ( some banned in some countries). One, for example, is Monosodium Glutamate, and one of its most well known destinations is into your Asian take-away, such as a curry or Chinese. Is it safe? It’s debatable. It’s apparently a flavour enhancer but has no taste in itself. This will tell you that the rich flavour of your curry may not actually be much to do with the raw ingredients, but a flavour enhancer called Monosodium Glutamate. Have you ever seen a label stuck to your take-away bag informing you of the presence of an E-number? I haven’t. It is claimed it can cause nausea, headaches, seizures, chest pains and burning sensations. 

https://www.talkingaboutthescience.com/studies/E-numbers.pdf

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits