Heater cable not long enough?

Hi All,

I’m trying to figure out what the problem is regarding the heater cable on my CR series TR6.

The cable that is fitted is, as far as I can tell, the original one and has not been cut or shortened, but doesn’t seem long enough to operate the heater valve. The heater valve itself has been changed (I assume it’s the right one!?). The routing looks ok as far as I can tell too.

Attached is a photo with the heater knob fully pushed in towards the dashboard.

Any suggestions as to the cause would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard

67CEEA2F-85F3-4865-932B-E3D1C2764590.jpeg

Hi Richard,

I assume you have the cable fitted to the RightHand side of the 'H' dash support.

On the 4 & 4A they are swapped over - heater valve on the left side of te dash support.

Thinking about it the above may be a red herring. !!!

Can you do another pic viewing more of the engine bay.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply. It is routed from the right hand side of the H console. It also looks to me as though not enough of the inner cable sticks out from the ‘sheath’, but that could also be a red herring!… as I don’t think it has been cut shorter.

another pic attached (from a couple of years ago, but nothing has been changed since then!
Richard

138F56FD-755B-4C1F-BAC7-5C4B26D6F99B.jpeg

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

I assume you have the cable fitted to the RightHand side of the 'H' dash support.

On the 4 & 4A they are swapped over - heater valve on the left side of te dash support.

Thinking about it the above may be a red herring. !!!

Can you do another pic viewing more of the engine bay.

Roger

Heater cables on a 6 are in the centre switch panel not the "H" frame.

It maybe the outer cover of the cable has parted company from the knob end ferrule so your not getting full return of the inner.

Stuart.

Hi All,

Thanks Roger, Kevin, Stuart for the replies.. all are useful..

I can’t remember exactly when it got disconnected, but was some time (years) ago!
Very helpful suggestions.. so will check those out regarding the outer cover and pulling with pliers.

the heater knob is in the centre panel (new photo attached)..

Do you guys know if the valve spindle rises as you open it, by pulling on the knob.. Should there be resistance.. it seems to move without any!

.. also, does this looks like the right valve.. I seem to remember some that are opposite hand where the cable goes round the other side?

thanks again,

Richard

4914A3CF-F054-496B-A3D3-625A6D2B7EA1.jpeg

Thanks for the further replies..

Yes, as Iruka says, that switch is for an interior light.. which actually works, despite the back of it being quite wobbly!

Stuart, thanks for the Rockauto link.. do you know of anywhere that sells it in the UK? .. and does the thread match, so that you can wind it straight in to the same location?

Richard 

11 hours ago, Richiep said:

Stuart, thanks for the Rockauto link.. do you know of anywhere that sells it in the UK? .. and does the thread match, so that you can wind it straight in to the same location?

Richard 

Richard - I have a few spare ones - PM me if interested

Cheers Rich

On 1/11/2022 at 10:22 AM, stuart said:

Those heater valves are notoriously unreliable and a lot of us have changed to one of these https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=815508&cc=1174799&pt=6860&jsn=483

Stuart.

Moss sell 2 types! There is a cheap copy at under £20 and an expensive OEM type at over £30+++. I went for the el cheapo one, it lasted under 12 months? Then I found out about the OEM one, after the failure of the first one and that is still going after 5 years!!! Moss's usual excuse, people will not buy the expensive one! I did! How many times do you want to do that job?

Bruce 

Thanks for the further updates gents.. and for the PM Rich.. I’ll get back to you soon on that.

Looking at the Rockauto one, I can see a clamp for the outer cable sheath, but can’t see how the inner cable connects to it ..? or maybe I’m not being very bright!

Richard

45 minutes ago, Richiep said:

Thanks for the further updates gents.. and for the PM Rich.. I’ll get back to you soon on that.

Looking at the Rockauto one, I can see a clamp for the outer cable sheath, but can’t see how the inner cable connects to it ..? or maybe I’m not being very bright!

Richard

Richard - you need to fabricate an end fitting - some people make a wire loop to go over the pin and then connect the 2 ends of the loop to the end of the control cable using something like a electrical wire connector - once you can visualise the effect, you can come up with lots of other ways to do it - there have definitely been posts on the forum previously so a search might prove fruitful

cheers Rich 

Hi Rich,

here is a pic to go with Richards post.

This is the electrical connector in one multi blocks.

You could also use a ring tag and crimp it onto the inner wire.

PS- if you look below the valve you can just see the top of the adaptor

Roger

DSC_2956a.jpg

Edited by RogerH
On 1/14/2022 at 11:50 AM, astontr6 said:

Amazon sell the 4 season heater valve 74648 for £34 here in the UK? I do not know if that is cheaper than importing it directly from the USA?

Bruce.

Thats actually from the US so you may find theres import duty on top

Stuart.