Brake /Clutch Master cylinder

5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Here are photos of NOS pipes.  You can see the factory had issues with flattening the pipe where the bend is tightest.  

8B772928-F608-450D-9E89-8E400944238B.jpeg

807D6BAD-3BCA-4D77-8080-F363B8EA1AAE.jpeg

A gentle squeeze in a vice will solve that slight flattening.

Rgds Ian

The sole reason for me having the pipes was that I used to make the Kunifer brake and fuel pipes for Moss, 35 years ago, and these served as patterns for shape and length.

I do not have any of the tools to produce these items now so cannot offer to make them.  
All the tooling was returned when Moss chose to resource to Automec in the 1990’s.  I kept my new and used patterns though.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

The sun is out and no ice this morning. I have been out to the garage and measured the distance under the reservoir down to the bodywork. It is 2"as in the picture above. It looks as if it is not possible to have tighter bends at that position. The pipe is copper and , at the time, tighter bends made for stressed metal and a flatter profile. The bends have been in place for many years and no leaks .

So I am still looking to reduce the height. There are some new ones reservoirs available. I would like to seal the connection in the base. Which Loctite would be the correct one to use for hydraulic fluid. It might be useful to run a bead around the internal edge at the base in case of future leaks, or would that be a mistake ??

Has anyone used a quality sealer on these fittings  ??

Thanks Richard &  B

4 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

The sun is out and no ice this morning. I have been out to the garage and measured the distance under the reservoir down to the bodywork. It is 2"as in the picture above. It looks as if it is not possible to have tighter bends at that position. The pipe is copper and , at the time, tighter bends made for stressed metal and a flatter profile. The bends have been in place for many years and no leaks .

So I am still looking to reduce the height. There are some new ones reservoirs available. I would like to seal the connection in the base. Which Loctite would be the correct one to use for hydraulic fluid. It might be useful to run a bead around the internal edge at the base in case of future leaks, or would that be a mistake ??

Has anyone used a quality sealer on these fittings  ??

Thanks Richard &  B

Revington’s sell pre made pipes in epdm with the correct fittings on either end. Not original but, they fit, they don’t leak and the reservoir can be adjusted to clear the bonnet.No idea of the part number, but it’s these ones shown on a twin system, they work with the “can” just as well.

Iain

image.png

Edited by iain
On 1/15/2022 at 9:44 AM, Richardtr3a said:

When I fitted out the new pipe runs,  for the clutch and brakes on my Girling car, I did use sand at first but was bot happy and finally managed a very tight bend X2. I did try sand but was more successful with an old speedo cable inner. This was putting the car on the road after a major chassis project. It has been all right ever since until I had the scuttle bare metal painted last year. The plinths for the hinges were sanded flat, being only filler, and now my reservoir is too close to the bonnet.

Does any member on the forum have an old container , for sale, that I can use for cutting and testing. I would appreciate some help with this project.

Thanks Richard & B.

Richard did you get sorted?

John.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/13/2022 at 4:04 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Yes the original pipes do have a fairly tight bend after the nut that fits to the bottom of the reservoir.  The originals I have shew some flattening of the tube where the bend is.

The Girling replacement twin plastic reservoir that was a replacement for the metal can has a single bottom outlet and a push of adaptor at the side for a rubber hose.  The kit included a rubber hose and two clamps as well as the tank with cap and support bracket.

Image of the original Girling tank from the Girling parts book

114530 tank.jpg

It might seem a stupid question but which is the brake reservoir? I assume the centre tube is the clutch, but the level on the outer reservoir on mine is dropping and the only leak I can find is the clutch master cylinder.

7 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

It might seem a stupid question but which is the brake reservoir?

Follow the pipe runs.  It's possible they have been swapped over.