Poly bush or std for suspension

Happy New Year everyone

never used anything other than std kit and during strip down after 40 years seemed ok

so do i go poly for the rebuild (this will be a road car not hammered)

is it just hype so someone makes money whats wrong with std

not bitching just interested what do i gain my days of taking roundabouts at 60+mph (beat the 2.8 capri) are well gone

i have a little thread in the TR5 section so also posted there

thanks

David

Personally I would go with the polybush option. Generally easier to fit and mostly more durable. There are different grades.

Not all bushes are the same and, unfortunately, many of the "original" bushes are anything but original quality.

16 minutes ago, dblenk said:

Happy New Year everyone

never used anything other than std kit and during strip down after 40 years seemed ok

so do i go poly for the rebuild (this will be a road car not hammered)

is it just hype so someone makes money whats wrong with std

not bitching just interested what do i gain my days of taking roundabouts at 60+mph (beat the 2.8 capri) are well gone

i have a little thread in the TR5 section so also posted there

thanks

David

If you want to go the standard route on the front suspension.….  I still have a dozen or so NOS original Triumph top inner rubber bushes.  102228.   I will go searching if you are interested in the lower inner metalastic bushes also, which I ‘think’ I still have a car set of.  
I have no rear suspension bushes.

PM me if interested.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Go for Poly but dont go cheap. Go for Superfex or Superpro.

Stuart.

Agree with Stuart Superpro, every time for me yes they are more expensive but worth the outlay . I have tried the other offerings when money was tight and ended up removing them which transformed the ride/handling.  

Why are they better? Because they allow the wish bones to move with less stiction and as close to being bearings so don't neglect using the grease they come with.

Andy

I did Superpro on my Doretti and standard rubber on the TR2.  I like the Superpro tightness better, and they seem more durable.  But unlike Andy, my experience is that the Superpro bushes are more of a pain to put in than the standard ones. 

Cheers

Dan

As others have said Dan, modern rubber offerrings tend to guide us towards poly.,

and I would echo Superpro qualities.

From memory, I think the issue with fitting other than using the silicone grease provided, is that whilst original top wishbone bushes are in two parts the Superbro

come as a single peice rather like a bobbin.

Having found that no amount of threaded rod, washers and vice was getting any where, I eventually used part of the band, from a cut down piston ring compressor and some Jubilee clips, together with copious amounts of washing up liquid.

John.

2 hours ago, dblenk said:

Revington do the full kit for around £500 (superpro)

David

Probably a bit cheaper elsewhere then I'd shop around first.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:58 AM, John Morrison said:

As others have said Dan, modern rubber offerrings tend to guide us towards poly.,

and I would echo Superpro qualities.

From memory, I think the issue with fitting other than using the silicone grease provided, is that whilst original top wishbone bushes are in two parts the Superbro

come as a single peice rather like a bobbin.

Having found that no amount of threaded rod, washers and vice was getting any where, I eventually used part of the band, from a cut down piston ring compressor and some Jubilee clips, together with copious amounts of washing up liquid.

John.

Hi John

Just a thought but could you have cut them in half using a thin junior hacksaw blade and fitted them as the 2 part originals were fitted?

Keith

Hi Keith,

yes absolutely, but I didn't like the idea of this bit of plastic beating me, 

and I can still remember the schlop as the bush slid home.

Other thing to say is that, be sure to clean the wishbone 'Holes' with sandpaper or some such, often 

some original rubber transfers to the steel in service, and this make fitting knew hard work.

John.