Tacho conversion

Greetings, oh sage ones.

I finally believe that I have eliminated enough problems with poor running, to attempt to install my 123TUNE distributor. 
Most of you will know that this distributor has no facility to drive the tachometer, so I am looking into converting the original tacho to electronic, or buying a new electronic replacement.

Can anyone please give me the benefit of their experiences on this?

Regards,

Austin

31 minutes ago, Austin Branson said:

Greetings, oh sage ones.

I finally believe that I have eliminated enough problems with poor running, to attempt to install my 123TUNE distributor. 
Most of you will know that this distributor has no facility to drive the tachometer, so I am looking into converting the original tacho to electronic, or buying a new electronic replacement.

Can anyone please give me the benefit of their experiences on this?

Regards,

Austin

JDO if still going 

Thanks Neil. I can’t say that I like the bloke much. He checked over my Speedo for me. 
I’ve read negative comments about his conversions to tacho’s. 
Best wishes.

Austin

I fitted a 123tune+ about 3 or 4 years ago and had my tacho reworked by JDO to suit, it’s worked perfectly ever since.

i agree that he’s not the easiest to work with….. it’s his way or nothing!, but a good product/service nonetheless

steve

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

I must say, that's a pretty good club magazine you have in Devon.

Agree Mike.

It would be good if all these local technical items could be made available centrally as a kind of ongoing workshop manual as I'm sure it would then help a wider audience of fellow enthusiasts.

Andy

3 hours ago, Mike C said:

Yes, 
excellent! 
Although the summaries of meetings, gatherings and tours are sometimes a nice read, this clubmagazine makes a good read for TR-enthousiasts with technical interest.

Waldi

Try CAI instruments in Wales as I'm sure they can do this as they still make Smiths gauges. They converted a speedometer for me albeit from one fixed electronic one to another fully configurable one. Phone them first, don't just send an e-mail as you will probably won't get a reply. Alternative is Speedy cables who are next door.

9 hours ago, Mike C said:

In The Garage gets uploaded to the main Register site but is a bit hidden in the Social Scene section. Weve just posted issue 14. It doesn’t get published at regular intervals but rather when I’ve got enough contributions from others to make a reasonable read; otherwise it turns into In Andrew’s Garage. It was started in response to the lack of technical content in TR Action and I’ve suggested that the magazine may like to use some of the content on a number of occasions but it’s never been taken up.

Andrew

Edited by Drewmotty
2 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

In The Garage gets uploaded to the main Register site but is a bit hidden in the Social Scene section. Weve just posted issue 14. It doesn’t get published at regular intervals but rather when I’ve got enough contributions from others to make a reasonable read; otherwise it turns into In Andrew’s Garage. It was started in response to the lack of technical content in TR Action and I’ve suggested that the magazine may like to use some of the content on a number of occasions but it’s never been taken up.

Andrew

Agree TR Action has very little to offer interns of technical content which is a shame it would do well to reprint content from local branches. I like to pull out useful material and keep it in a ring binder for future reference.

Andy 

Austin,

i had my TR5 Tacho converted to Electronic to run with a Lumenition ignition system by this supplier in Scotland - 

www.classicsparesengineering.co.uk/classic-spares-services.php I was pleased with their service, Scott actually answers the phone and will discuss your requirements and the refurb was quite swift.

As yet though it's still in the box as my restoration is still ongoing so can't comment on how successful it is. 

Dave McD