TR6: Time To Buy?

Pretty sure I've recently read a thread on Hagerty TR6 prices, but cant find it on a search; maybe it was on the TRR FB page? Anyway, I think this video puts the TR6 across well and is a fair reflection of where it currently sits in the market and where prices are heading:

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew there was a piece in the Mail a couple of weeks ago and the TR6 was listed in the Top Ten for Classic cars that would do well in the market this year.

Paul

He wasn't wearing a seat belt! He said Triumph made 92k. I've read various figures up to 97k. My 'Triumph Companion' book by Steven Rossi says they made 94,619, 86,249 being exported, and 8,370 for the home market. I think most of us owners could have given a better description of what they are like to drive, especially out on an open circuit. But nice to know they are starting to be more recognised for what we all know they are all about. 

10 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

He wasn't wearing a seat belt! He said Triumph made 92k. I've read various figures up to 97k. My 'Triumph Companion' book by Steven Rossi says they made 94,619, 86,249 being exported, and 8,370 for the home market. I think most of us owners could have given a better description of what they are like to drive, especially out on an open circuit. But nice to know they are starting to be more recognised for what we all know they are all about. 

It was a much bad mouthed car during its production and that followed it into classic car status. I don't think the PI system helped? It should have had the Webber DCOE'S as their original plan. It nearly got that in post 73 models! But as you say they are starting to be recognized for what they are actually about.

Bruce

In the mid to late 60's I had a TR4 and was really keen to get a 6, but as you say the motoring press called it old fashioned. The MGB had a monoque shell, and the Lotus Elan really was ahead of it's time. But what we have in our '6's' is the last of the old mass produced chassis/body combo cars which had up to date creature comfort stuff and roll up windows etc, and lots of omph for the money, which today all adds to the charm, we mustn't forget it's a true thoroughbred car with a long heritage line. In 1977 when I had to make a choice whether to dump my 4.2 E Type or the 6 ? I kept the TR, so glad I did, now I'm a pensioner I still get a buzz opening the garage breathing in the smell of oil and vinyl, crank it into life and take it out for drive.  

18 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

In the mid to late 60's I had a TR4 and was really keen to get a 6, but as you say the motoring press called it old fashioned. The MGB had a monoque shell, and the Lotus Elan really was ahead of it's time. But what we have in our '6's' is the last of the old mass produced chassis/body combo cars which had up to date creature comfort stuff and roll up windows etc, and lots of omph for the money, which today all adds to the charm, we mustn't forget it's a true thoroughbred car with a long heritage line. In 1977 when I had to make a choice whether to dump my 4.2 E Type or the 6 ? I kept the TR, so glad I did, now I'm a pensioner I still get a buzz opening the garage breathing in the smell of oil and vinyl, crank it into life and take it out for drive.  

Well said, makes me smile every time I take it out, also my 9 year old grandson adores the smell and the drive, especially so on New Year’s Day when we went for a drive.

I enjoy my tr6 and it is likely to be a keeper. I had a Lotus Elan +2, a really lovely car, very refined, loverly ride and road holding. But almost too good. Would love another but not at the expense of the 6. I think the 6 and other triumphs also have a good reputation because of the clubs. The register is great and events like the Round Britain britian Reliability Run club triumph run add lots of different things to do with the 6 for all tastes.  

I have just bought a Stag after selling my big 6 saloon. Will be interesting to compare. 

Tim

1 hour ago, Tim D. said:

I enjoy my tr6 and it is likely to be a keeper. I had a Lotus Elan +2, a really lovely car, very refined, loverly ride and road holding. But almost too good. Would love another but not at the expense of the 6. I think the 6 and other triumphs also have a good reputation because of the clubs. The register is great and events like the Round Britain britian Reliability Run club triumph run add lots of different things to do with the 6 for all tastes.  

I have just bought a Stag after selling my big 6 saloon. Will be interesting to compare. 

Tim

Tim,

I would be interested in your thoughts on the Stag vs the TR6. I have had thoughts of a Stag to replace both our TR6 and TR8 as a way of downsizing but am unsure if that is a good way to go.

Simon

10 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Tim,

I would be interested in your thoughts on the Stag vs the TR6. I have had thoughts of a Stag to replace both our TR6 and TR8 as a way of downsizing but am unsure if that is a good way to go.

Simon

Hi Simon  I have a Stag and Tr6,, they are two completely different cars in every way  .the stag is more relaxed drive ,tr6 very engaging drive ,tr6 probably more fun to drive than the stag,  stag is more practical being bigger  , if ihad to get rid of one  we'll I really wouldn't know which one to choose

Len

Edited by len1

I have been into and owned TR6's for over 40 years now and still own 2 of them. I had a Stag for 3 months !  As Tim states above  they are totally different cars. I always found the steering wheel position to be most strange in the Stag, being very flat and away from the driver, like a MIni or a Routemaster bus! Then the performance wasn't that great either. However it is a GT car and did what it set out to do just not comparable to a TR6 or TR5.

Would I have another Stag? Maybe as I am getting older and might need the relatively easy access to the cabin someday but certainly for the next few years its a TR6 all the way. So, 2 good cars but just different thats all.

Alan G

Simon,

although I have only just got my own stag I have driven my friend’s stag on two round britain reliability runs and a couple of trips to Leman. I have done similar trips in the TR6.  As others have said, they are very different cars.  The suspension on the stag is more like the big six saloons and gives a very comfortable ride but much less sporty.  More leaning. But this is much nicer on long runs and in the last RBRR it would have made the roads in the north of scotland much more enjoyable. The gearbox/od is essentially shared with the TR6 but the longer gear lever makes it less sporty. The addition of 1960s style power steering also has a big effect making it a much easier but probably less precise and engaging drive. As already pointed out the power to weight ratio is not as good as the 6. This reduces acceleration but it is still a relaxed cruise at motorway speeds. The car I am recommissioning has the rover V8. Not a purists choice but it is lighter than the triumph item and has more torque.  It felt pretty lively on my first drive of the car. If needed I can fit the 3.9 or even the 4.5 litre which could make it quite a quick car. Interestingly the 2500 saloon I sold to by the Stag was exceptionally popular in my family who thought it was the best classic I have ever had! it was a very relaxing car to drive.. I am hoping that the stag will be something between the TR and the Saloon. 
tim

Thanks to all for the comments, it is food for thought.

To sell my Tr6 would be quite an emotional thing for me as I have had it so long and I really like the car. The TR8 I could let go of quite easily although my wife might have something to say about that.

In the mean time I will probably keep them both and hope that prices do appreciate a little, although I have to drive and do not look at them as an investment.

Simon

2 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Thanks to all for the comments, it is food for thought.

To sell my Tr6 would be quite an emotional thing for me as I have had it so long and I really like the car. The TR8 I could let go of quite easily although my wife might have something to say about that.

In the mean time I will probably keep them both and hope that prices do appreciate a little, although I have to drive and do not look at them as an investment.

Simon

At least where you are theyre not going to go rusty if you dont use them;)

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

That is true but any seal or perishable item will dry up and disintegrate. After we moved here we spent the first couple of years here chasing leaks, replacing hoses etc.

Simon

23 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

Having been to CA I and our cars would love their climate. But I really can't recommend highly enough the importance here in the damp ole UK to have a dehumidifier running 24/7 in your garage if it hasn't the luxury of residing in a heated building. 

Smug git I am central heated garage :P:P 

Not for the car but because I'm getting soft!

Andy

PS I'm also a tight Yorkshire type and with the cost of gas I might have to review the situation.

Good video Andrew, and one where the presenter allowed the car to make its own impression, without overhyping it. Thanks for posting. Certainly one to watch with prices creeping northwards. I have an early ‘69 car in Signal Red, but needing quite a lot of work!  

TR6 Question; can you get bonnet front edge repair sections or do you have to make them up? 

Kevin

F4EC07C1-0243-4833-B1FD-17B67F4468F8.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits

I was born in 1953 and got my licence in 1970. Back then I looked with lust at TR6s taking off from the lights, the back squatting down and the glorious howl. One day I said.

In 1976 I bought a TR2, my BRG one I still have. It has been my everyday car ever since. In between we have had MkII Jags, MG TC, Triumph 2500S etc. The TR2 is just part of the family. We also have a 2nd TR2 now, a long door I restored as a concours example.

5 years ago I retired and we bought a house with a bigger garage. I went looking and found a 1970 PI in good solid original condition. It needed tidying but drove pretty well. I bought it and 5 1/2 years later the car is very much better, really good in fact, and I still enjoy the driving experience.

The TR2 needs to be driven, you don't sit back and relax. It cruises at 110-120kph (actually comfortable at 130 km/h but the speed limits preclude this).

The TR6 is the same but with more power and refinement. 

Triumph TRs of all types are relatively under priced here compared to other cars. It is changing, I paid $30,000 for the 6. It owes me closer to $40,000. I could probably sell it for $50-55,000.

Just watched the video. I reckon his MG bias came out there. 

Edited by John McCormack
19 hours ago, CP26309 said:

Having been to CA I and our cars would love their climate. But I really can't recommend highly enough the importance here in the damp ole UK to have a dehumidifier running 24/7 in your garage if it hasn't the luxury of residing in a heated building. 

Same here, a dehumidifier makes a massive difference.

I run mine from October to April, but you do need a well sealed garage - I have one of those insulated roller doors.

23 hours ago, PodOne said:

Smug git I am central heated garage :P:P 

Not for the car but because I'm getting soft!

Andy

PS I'm also a tight Yorkshire type and with the cost of gas I might have to review the situation.

I have a rad in the garage and it never goes out in the wet, that’s why I can keep it like this

0D330E4B-6FD8-438D-BFF5-AC8FE2C25135.thumb.jpeg.7cee5208631d702aae3eba326c92d6f5.jpeg09307376-0287-411C-8009-153B70153CD7.thumb.jpeg.cf376eb4217561d888bc532cb6c900e3.jpeg

But I do use it Winter time I did 70 miles New Years Day