LED Headlight Conversion

Santa gave me a pair of LED Headlight bulbs for christmas :). I therefore need to convert my sealed beam units to H4's. Could anybody recommend some reasonaly priced H4 light units and will the existing light bowls be suitable?

Alan.

Hi Alan

Dont go for cheap H4 units the pattern will be all over the place the ones Pete have suggested are fine as they are lucas products I got some used landrover units for mine although not with LEDs just normal H4 bulbs make sure they have the E mark on the lens as well

Chris

I’ve got Hella units which give a crisp well defined beam pattern. They are readily available at about £45 a pair.  I chose the version with a pilot bulb facility that I use with a super bright led as daylight running lights. 

56 minutes ago, stillp said:

Which LED bulbs did Santa bring you Alan? Don't forget to turn the adaptor on the base if required - I missed that in the instructions, and had an LHD dip pattern for a while!

Pete

Latest LED Headlights H4 Z-ES Chips HiLo Beam 472 475 P43T Excellent Beam Pattern – Classic Car LEDs Ltd

Think they are adjusted for UK.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my bulbs and lucas headlamp shells from Classic Car LEDs. One of the shells was damaged in transit and they replaced it instantly without question. IMHO they are a great company to do business with and always helpful with advice by phone

Andy

Just finished reading The latest Practical Classics magazine, I noticed that classiccarleds have an advert in there (page 17) for thier lastest range of LED headlight bulbs for older fittings (BAY15D etc).

The photo in the advert was taken by moi using my neighbours Austin 12 as a test bed.

426287811_Bullseyelensdippedbeam.thumb.jpg.c92d71db516f136c8f539251b2567268.jpg   1440447195_Bullseyelensfullbeam.thumb.jpg.b210826d0f05ddab7b3422f0806e9e0a.jpg  

Bob

On 12/31/2021 at 8:00 PM, Drewmotty said:

I’ve got Hella units which give a crisp well defined beam pattern. They are readily available at about £45 a pair.  I chose the version with a pilot bulb facility that I use with a super bright led as daylight running lights. 

The government view.   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

19 minutes ago, RogerH said:

For day light running why not simply use you dipped bean headlight.

Roger

Exactly, as used on Volvos for many years.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Exactly, as used on Volvos for many years.

Stuart.

And the rear lights come on as well. 
a real bugbear of mine those drivers at twilight or at night they are oblivious that they have no rear light because the front “daylight” running lights are bright enough to show up and all the dash lights are on giving them the false impression their lights are on. 

18 hours ago, Hamish said:

And the rear lights come on as well. 
a real bugbear of mine those drivers at twilight or at night they are oblivious that they have no rear light because the front “daylight” running lights are bright enough to show up and all the dash lights are on giving them the false impression their lights are on. 

Quite agree I think its dangerous too especially when you come upon them in low light levels at dusk or dawn

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Quite agree I think its dangerous too especially when you come upon them in low light levels at dusk or dawn

Stuart.

+1. Seen too many of these lately. Worst was a black transit van on the M4 at 18.00……the driver was oblivious to many who tried to make him aware. This variant of daylight running is crazy.

Iain

On 1/15/2022 at 2:12 PM, RogerH said:

For day light running why not simply use you dipped bean headlight.

Roger

Daylight running lights are generally shown at the front without illuminating the rear lights. This ensures that the brake lights are well defined during daylight when the difference between tail and brake lights is less easily recognised. 

With the roads dry last night I took the TR out to test the LED headlights for the first time. The difference to the sealed beams is mega. I'm very pleased with them but will pop into the local garage to get them adjusted correctly as they are very bright.

Alan.