Hi all,

Hope you have all had a great Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year?  I am looking to repair my TR3's radiator as it has been subjected to numerous repairs in its past. Does anyone have a recommendation for radiator repairs in the Worcester area?

Thanks in advance, Laurence.

I would ring Peter Cox and ask    He would guide you to a reconditioner or be able to get yours rebuilt.

Do you want/need a starting handle hole?   That makes a serious price difference and competency level.   Serck in Coleshill would do a starting handle hole core.

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

FWIW I had my radiator built up from two scrap ones that I had, one with a decent top but very damaged base and one that was vice versa.  I had it re-cored minus the starting handle hole for around £200 total cost in 2012 by Serck Marston in Plymouth.  So I'd start by looking for a nearby Serck (franchise?).

Rgds Ian

I've used Clarkson Auto Radiator Repairs in Hampton Lovett Ind. Est. Droitwich a few times for my 3A. Not expensive & do a good job.

I haven't been for a few years and staff change/retire, so best to call in & speak to the guy/s doing the job to form your own opinion as to whether or not they know what they are talking about.

Another tip - take a cardboard template of the required angle, in both planes, if they need to disturb the filler neck - there is little scope for error, too low/too high, as I have discovered to my cost!!

If you do go some feedback would be useful for the future.

Cheers

Phil.

20 hours ago, roy53 said:

After getting several quotes on re core i found the new from TR shop to be £100 cheaper.

Roy

I made that mistake (not a TR Shop unit I hasten to add) - the joint between the long neck and the top tank didn't last at all and the whole repro unit is far more flimsy it seems to me than an original. I ended up getting an old original unit re-cored (no starter hole) at Guildford Radiators -a much better solution for a similar cost imho.

Edited by Rod1883

Years ago I was given an unused Serck radiator that I’ve fitted to my 3A.  A very useful add-on that they had fitted was a triangular bracket strengthening the filler neck to the rad top.

Would cost very little extra to get this added to the neck if you go the recore route.

23 hours ago, Mr Blue Sky said:

I don't need a starting handle hole

Maybe not today...

But one day.......

Charlie.

Hi all,

Just a quick update, Clarkson Radiators in Droitwich appear to have ceased trading.  I am taking my rad to Steve at Cheltenham Radiators tomorrow to have a new 4 row core fitted to my top/bottom tanks - £185+VAT, which appears reasonable to me.  I looked at a new rad but they were not as competitive or had the fitting for my thermo switch in the top tank.

As to having a starting handle hole, as I don't have a handle and the fact I'd probably do myself a mischief if I tried to start it by hand, I will give that a swerve. ;-)

Regards, Laurence

My overheating was finished when I fitted the new upgraded radiator with a sealing only new cap and the overflow connected to an expansion tank mounted on the wing near the distributor, which did have a pressure cap. This allows you to fill the  whole new radiator and 50% of the expansion tank. I also fitted an electric fan on the front of the new radiator for summer traffic jams, but it hardly ever comes on. 

Good luck

Richard & B.