which colour should my TR3A side screens be?

According to the original TR3  by Bill Piggott the hood and side screens should match the interior.  My TR3a hertage certificate states that the car is signal red with a grey interior and a black hood.  I have search the intrenet for a red car with a grey interior but there are no examples. My question is what colour should the side screens be,

Have you run a Factory trace from M.Ellis? These should tell you the Sidescreen colour. Certainly the Factory traces I have run (5 different cars) all show interior and sidescreen colour combinations. 
Iain

I would expect the sidescreens to match the colour of the hood. For example, my ex USA car was British Racing Green, with a Red interior, and White Hood/Side curtains. This information was from the Standard Motor Club trace via Mike Ellis. Proves that not all hoods matched the interior colour as you suggest.

I think as far as the factory was concerned the sidescreen were part of the hood ensemble, and unless someone knows differently, were usually supplied matching.

Bit gaudy I thought and went for black interior and black hood and side screens.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
46 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I agree, sidescreens would normally be same colour as the hood, which was usually either black or white as far as I am aware.

Bob

Not always as back then the factory would do any combination you wanted, my old TR2 had Blackberry trim/hood and sidescreens. A fairly famous "Nipple pink" TR3 had white hood and sidescreens/white interior and light blue carpets. See below a concours winning TR2 in its original colour combination as well as another in its original combo.

Stuart.

international 016.jpg

019.JPG

Edited by stuart

Didn`t we have Lady Black to thank for some of those early colours.

But again the hood and sidescreens matched whatever the colour.

Ralph

47 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Didn`t we have Lady Black to thank for some of those early colours.

But again the hood and sidescreens matched whatever the colour.

Ralph

You still had the option of whatever colours you wanted with regard to any be it trim or car colour if you wanted to pay, the factory were happy to do all of that to make a sale.

Stuart.

Attached is an old article from the Triumph Register America (TRA) newsletter showing paint and trim color options for the TR2s, TR3s and TR3As. It documents the changes by "Engineering Change" (EC) orders in chart form. Generally speaking the early cars TR2s, TR3s had greater options of colors and the weather gear tended to match or compliment the interior (except, perhaps, in the Geranium/Blackberry combination shown in Stuart's post) but as Stuart does say, the factory would provide pretty much any combination for a charge!

TR Paint and Trim Colors.pdf

Here's a photo showing a red TR3A with a gray interior, whether the interior is an original shade or not, I can't say, but it shows the combination.

TR3A_Library.jpeg

3 hours ago, ckeithjordan said:

Attached is an old article from the Triumph Register America (TRA) newsletter showing paint and trim color options for the TR2s, TR3s and TR3As. It documents the changes by "Engineering Change" (EC) orders in chart form. Generally speaking the early cars TR2s, TR3s had greater options of colors and the weather gear tended to match or compliment the interior (except, perhaps, in the Geranium/Blackberry combination shown in Stuart's post) but as Stuart does say, the factory would provide pretty much any combination for a charge!

TR Paint and Trim 

As always there are exceptions especially  at change over points. My early works 3 a, built in early Nov 57, is Apple green, with fawn sidescreens and black with white piping interior. My car was destined to be a US export ( and a very plain spec) before being pulled from the line and rebuilt by Comps.

A sister car built days later was Apple Green , with fawn sidescreens and a brown interior and brown piping

All the other works cars built in Nov were Apple green with fawn sidescreens and black interior and white piping.

According to the attached document Apple Green wasn’t available until April 58………..

Iain

1 hour ago, iain said:

According to the attached document Apple Green wasn’t available until April 58………..

I wonder if the work’s Apple Green was an experiment to see if the color would be popular enough to be offered?

My long door TR2 is in its original colour combination of signal red, fawn weather equipment and brown leather interior.

My short door TR2 is also in its original colour scheme of BRG, fawn weather equipment and red leather (the red has darkened over the decades, due for replacement).

I like the various original colour combinations, adds very much to the character and individuality of the cars.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

At Pikeys.JPG

IMG_0933.jpg

Lots of different combinations, but the original question from ctC57212 was what colour should the side curtains be if it had a black hood, black to match the hood or grey to match the interior.

Ralph

12 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Black to match the black soft top is my understanding.

My understanding and answer too, I suppose its possible, but I have yet to see a car with the hood a different colour to the sidecurtains, especially from the factory. ctC57212 had asked because the Heritage cert only mentioned the hood being black, and he had read that the curtains should match the interior, in his case grey.

Ralph

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My first TR2 ( KVY92) had a black vinyl hood, one beige side screen and one red side screen.  And a double duck tonneau.   So not factory original then……

Ah, an early Harlequin special. Neighbour used to have a Porsche where every panel was a different colour.