FUEL SMELL BUT NO LEAK!

Hi Willie

Brilliant. A simple fix. Your sender seems to have the dome head slotted screws that mine has whereas Denis seems to have an assortment. The dome head are the correct ones I believe and there is just the fibre washer under the head on mine. The problem seems to be fuel seeping up the threads of the screws and then seeping past the fibre washer. To be honest it's not a particularly good design.

The UV torch detects the liquid not the vapour. You can also use the torch to detect mouse urine to see if the little critters are in your garage. Mouse urine glows under UV.

Keith

Hi all,

Keith, sorry but I somehow missed your comment on the two different screw types I have securing the fuel level sender i.e. hexagonal and socket cap screws and washers. You may well have a good point supported by the recent posts. I'll try to source the correct pan head screws and the fibre washers. I have been in touch with the past owner who fitted the cork sender gasket. He told me that he used Wellseal, which explains the presence of the goo I mentioned.

Willie, if you are in Hereford you are close to were I live in Llangynidr, Powys!

Regards,

Denis

Hi all,

I have received some screws and fibre washers from Rimmer Bros. According to the Triumph TR5 spares catalogue the screw should be TR6503, However, this appears to have been superseded by TR6504. I have been unable to ascertain what the difference is and this is also the case with the TR4/4A. The head of the screws I have received is 7.5mm in diameter, but the outside diameter of the fibre washers is 9.5mm, so it will overlap the screw head. The photo by Willie of his TR4 seems to show screws with bigger heads. The only screws I have been able to find that appear to have a larger head are by S C parts:

https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british-cars/triumph/triumph-tr5-tr250-and-tr6-1968-1976/fuel-pump-and-fuel-tank/fuel-tank-sender-unit-and-fuel-cap/panhead-screw-19918.html

Do you think that I should go ahead and fit the screws I have obtained from Rimmer Bros or source the screws with the larger heads from S C Parts? Using the screws from Rimmer Bros would create a greater pressure on the fibre washers but am concerned that they may not overlap the holes in the sender unit.

Your thoughts on this would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Denis