Front suspension - quick query!?

Having just stripped down the front suspension on my 3A I was wondering about the lower inner wishbone bushes.

Am I right in thinking that the metal tube should be gripped by the supports either side and the arm swivel about the tube? i.e. there should be no movement between the tube in the wishbone bush and the pin on the chassis?

Just checking!

Thanks

Phil.

4 hours ago, Chris Hubball said:

I fitted Poly Bushes on both top and bottom wishbones on my TR4 years ago used silicon grease during assembly had them apart recently with no trouble

Cheers Chris

Agreed, sounds like the initial assembly greasing ( Superpro special jollop) has either disappeared or perhaps was insufficient. 

Iain

18 hours ago, greasemonkey said:

Having just stripped down the front suspension on my 3A I was wondering about the lower inner wishbone bushes.

Am I right in thinking that the metal tube should be gripped by the supports either side and the arm swivel about the tube? i.e. there should be no movement between the tube in the wishbone bush and the pin on the chassis?

Just checking!

Thanks

Phil.

That is correct Phil. Assemble with lots of copper slip on the pins to make removal next time easier and stop corrosion. Unlike the top pins, the bottom ones cannot be replaced easily.

Ralph

22 hours ago, iain said:

Agreed, sounds like the initial assembly greasing ( Superpro special jollop) has either disappeared or perhaps was insufficient. 

Iain

OK, thanks. I'll reassemble with extra handful of Superpro grease. Measuring the bore of the bushes, they are about 50/60 thou smaller than the fulcrum pin. Seems mighty tight to me. 

Also, I notice on the Superpro site that they are now knurling the bore of the bushes - to hold grease! Hmmm, maybe they came to recognise the issue!!??

Phil.