Can you identify this?

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Kev,

it looks like a bus seat cushion cover.

Roger

I think you’ve nailed it Roger. It is a TRansport For London Moquette which we’re probably all familiar with on buses and trains. 

That particular design was used as far back as 1929, and was used on the seating of the AEC NS-Type bus. This can be seen in the opening scenes of a film called ‘Piccadilly’. The chassis of this bus was stepped down between axles to give it a lower centre of gravity and thus more stable. The Metropolitan Police Office did not allow the first batch of buses to have a roof, though it was fitted to later versions! 

As a suburban Londoner you might have used the Green Line Routemaster maybe, sprayed green and had deeply cushioned seats for ‘private car comfort’, fitted luggage racks and rear opening doors for longer distance comfort. The design below was used on these and also on the BEA Routemaster airport coaches which you might well know. I’ve quoted this from a book called Seats Of London.

We’ve got some moquette stuff around the house like cushions etc from the hundreds of designs over the years.  I think you’ll need a rail ticket to get in our house before long! :lol:
Kevin

PS it does look like it’s under glass, only because of the camera flash on the glossy page.

C5C6C95F-4F99-49ED-B137-1668EDA2FBB5.jpeg

B85C7CD0-E5FB-49E6-A4A0-8A3780BA2EFF.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits
On 12/28/2021 at 8:20 PM, boxofbits said:

I think you’ve nailed it Roger. It is a TRansport For London Moquette which we’re probably all familiar with on buses and trains. 

That particular design was used as far back as 1929, and was used on the seating of the AEC NS-Type bus. This can be seen in the opening scenes of a film called ‘Piccadilly’. The chassis of this bus was stepped down between axles to give it a lower centre of gravity and thus more stable. The Metropolitan Police Office did not allow the first batch of buses to have a roof, though it was fitted to later versions! 

As a suburban Londoner you might have used the Green Line Routemaster maybe, sprayed green and had deeply cushioned seats for ‘private car comfort’, fitted luggage racks and rear opening doors for longer distance comfort. The design below was used on these and also on the BEA Routemaster airport coaches which you might well know. I’ve quoted this from a book called Seats Of London.

We’ve got some moquette stuff around the house like cushions etc from the hundreds of designs over the years.  I think you’ll need a rail ticket to get in our house before long! :lol:
Kevin

PS it does look like it’s under glass, only because of the camera flash on the glossy page.

C5C6C95F-4F99-49ED-B137-1668EDA2FBB5.jpeg

B85C7CD0-E5FB-49E6-A4A0-8A3780BA2EFF.jpeg

When I lived in Romford , my mum used to get the 103 or 175 to Romford bus station . When we had to visit get parents in Tottenham , we took a green bus . . I think it was Eastern National . They had the “posh doors “. 
The old red tube trains had a similar style seat cover like the old route masters . This were the days when you jump off a bus at speed …..and your legs went like the clappers ….

7 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

When I lived in Romford , my mum used to get the 103 or 175 to Romford bus station . When we had to visit get parents in Tottenham , we took a green bus . . I think it was Eastern National . They had the “posh doors “. 
The old red tube trains had a similar style seat cover like the old route masters . This were the days when you jump off a bus at speed …..and your legs went like the clappers ….

Yes, and you could run like the clappers to get on them too! Problem now is for one, they’re out of service , and secondly I can’t run like the clappers any more !:lol:

3 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Yes, and you could run like the clappers to get on them too! Problem now is for one, they’re out of service , and secondly I can’t run like the clappers any more !:lol:

The memories !!!!

4 hours ago, Crawfie said:

. This were the days when you jump off a bus at speed …..and your legs went like the clappers ….

I did just that when I was about 12, legs were doing just fine untill I met a lamppost!

I woke up in hospital later that morning.

George