Cranberry sauce ?

Watching last years "All Creatures great and small" xmas show and there on the table is a bowl of cranberries. My recollection of UK Christmas dinner did not include cranberry sauce so is that really a UK thing or a regional thing or a class thing ?.

Who in the UK had cranberry sauce, cranberry dressing with their Christmas dinner ?

Stan

Hi Stan. Happy Christmas. 

Growing up and transferred to my own family I have always had cranberry sauce with turkey Christmas lunch. 
dad was a Yorkshireman by birth so not sure if it’s regional as we match the vets. 
(on a side note my mums granddad was a senior vet and qualification examiner and passed James Alfred Wight (James Herriot) to practice.

In our family it is a tradition with Christmas, my sister picks them up north, and we add some sugar, chunks of apple and a binder (a bit of water with flour). 

Cheers,
Waldi

Like Waldi's sister; Sue dresses in suitable attire and goes hunting the cranberries.  She will only have freshly picked cranberries.

This year they were freshly picked off the Sainsbury's shelf in a  glass jar.

We also have home grown apple sauce - for me, on my sprouts.

Sue's first memory of Cranberry sauce was 1954. Her cousin was married to an American air force chap.  He would have

bought it from the nearby USAF base in West Ruislip.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Never had it when I was a child - I think the first time I had cranberry sauce was at my works canteen in the late sixties. We had bread sauce when I was a nipper. Disgusting stuff, looked like baby vomit.

Chestnuts are another thing we didn't have - I ate them for the first time the day before yesterday!

Pete

46 minutes ago, stillp said:

Never had it when I was a child - I think the first time I had cranberry sauce was at my works canteen in the late sixties. We had bread sauce when I was a nipper. Disgusting stuff, looked like baby vomit.

Chestnuts are another thing we didn't have - I ate them for the first time the day before yesterday!

Pete

We never had Cranberry sauce either but BAOR Christmases back then were a bit spartan. The bread sauce I do remember and I always thought it was pointless.

Stuart.

We were also poor, never had turkey that I recall. Also my mom hated cooking so that is also a factor. My wife grew up with cranberry jelly (no actual cranberries) out of a can so that is what she prefers. Cranberries are grown and harvested locally in cranberry bogs and I do like cranberry English muffins but never acquired a taste for cranberry sauce. Thanks all for the info and I hope you all are having a very Merry Christmas.

When I was a kid I was a stroppy teenager. (I’m now a stroppy pensioner.)
I didn’t like Christmas but I was expected to eat Christmas diner with the family and be pleasant, just for one day of the year.

EVERY year my dad would say to me :
“Do you want some cranberry sauce.”

EVERY year I would reply :
“Why do you keep asking me if I want cranberry sauce? I told you last year, AND the year before that I don’t like it.”

Dad would then fly into a rage and say that every year I did my best to ruin Christmas dinner. I pointed out that if he didn’t ask such stupid questions there wouldn’t be any problem.
This seemed to increase his rage.

All in all though I think I had a happy childhood.

Charlie.
(I still don’t like Christmas, OR cranberry sauce.)