A type overdrive. Oil leak.

Does anyone have a diagram or explanation of how the o rings fit in the overdrive actuating shaft as it exits the cover? I've got a leak there and I don't have anything to refer to. The diagrams I do have don't help. 

Thanks. 

Hi Colin,

have a look here  Buckeye OD

There are two O rings.

In theory the O rings should be a square section.  ORS supplied normal round O rings in their repair kit !!!  they appear to work.

Removing the rigging arm is great fun. I ended up making a dedicated puller. Not pretty. but effective.

Make sure that the piston pin goes back OK and that the solenoid bracket is set in the correct position.

Roger

Thanks Roger. That's a lot of reading! Probably better than watching Christmas TV though. I need to find out how much dismantling I have to do. 

Colin

There are two o'rings on the operating shaft that goes side to side through the width of the overdrive.

The one you are referring to sits behind the cover plate on the solenoid side. To change this you need to -

1 Remove the solenoid and pinch bolt.

2 Remove the two bolts and two stud nuts that hold the cover plate to the overdrive. Undo them progressively as there is a strong spring pushing against the cover plate from within the overdrive unit. Withdraw the cover plate.

3 The o'ring sits in a recess on the inside of the cover plate. Prise out the old o' ring, press in the new one and  fit a new gasket (with sealant to both surfaces) slide the cover plate back onto the shaft. Re-fit the the two bolts and two stud nuts.

4 Re-fit the solenoid and adjust it correctly.

The o' ring on the off side of the o/d unit is retained by the adjustment lever. This is held in place by a roll pin which has a taper end. To change the o'ring tap out the roll pin from  the top. Pull off the lever, prise out the o'ring and pull the lever off the shaft. Re-fit the new o'ring, lever and roll pin.

All the above require the gearbox tunnel removed to give adequate access.

Hope this is the info. you require.

Rob

47 minutes ago, RobTR3 said:

Colin

There are two o'rings on the operating shaft that goes side to side through the width of the overdrive.

The one you are referring to sits behind the cover plate on the solenoid side. To change this you need to -

1 Remove the solenoid and pinch bolt.

2 Remove the two bolts and two stud nuts that hold the cover plate to the overdrive. Undo them progressively as there is a strong spring pushing against the cover plate from within the overdrive unit. Withdraw the cover plate.

3 The o'ring sits in a recess on the inside of the cover plate. Prise out the old o' ring, press in the new one and  fit a new gasket (with sealant to both surfaces) slide the cover plate back onto the shaft. Re-fit the the two bolts and two stud nuts.

4 Re-fit the solenoid and adjust it correctly.

The o' ring on the off side of the o/d unit is retained by the adjustment lever. This is held in place by a roll pin which has a taper end. To change the o'ring tap out the roll pin from  the top. Pull off the lever, prise out the o'ring and pull the lever off the shaft. Re-fit the new o'ring, lever and roll pin.

All the above require the gearbox tunnel removed to give adequate access.

Hope this is the info. you require.

Rob

Thanks. Rob. That's exactly what I needed to know. The tunnel is already off. Thanks for your help. 

Yuba

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Colin,

it is not a big job , but it is fiddly.

You need to remove the rigging arm.

Then the plate on the left hand side. 

The shaft comes out.  But there is an order to things.

I would recommend you read the Buckeye info.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I'm just so glad I've found where the leak is. It wasn't a lot, but annoying. All over my new painted garage floor!