Exhaust mild or stainless

I recently got into a conversation with another classic owner as to the value of fitting a stainless exhaust system.

At the moment we both run mild steel systems and don't do big mileages any more , so would we get any advantage from a stainless system and would the silencer internals last any longer than a mild steel one.

Just something for you all to ponder on during these dark nights.

Brian

Mild steel would be quieter 

ss looks good. 

it tends to be the exhaust gasses that rot out the silencers and not sure if ss is more resistant. 

I have a ss system here

Edited by Hamish
Video for sound

Hi Brian,

MS exhaust systems tend to use  thicker gauge of metal and thus give a more robust sound.

But they will rot out.

The pipes tend to rot from outside to in. Salty roads and general bad environment.

The boxes rot from inside to out due to the corrosive gases and high water levels.

The SS systems have a 'Tinnier' sound until they get sooted up. 

They stand up to the exhaust gases and environment very well.

However they can suffer from mechanical damage - grounding and broken welds.

Roger

Also glad your back Roger, as for the question like above the boxes of mild steel rot from inside out due to the water from the combustion process laying inside back in the day we use to drill a small hole near to the end seam on the underside of a silencer to help stop this happening did it make a difference to rotting emmm not convinced. Stainless will obviously last longer once fitted forget but as said above is rather tinny in sound for a bit and if your low mileage that could be a long time.

Chris 

I suppose it may also depend upon the manufacturer of the mild steel system.   I can’t speak from experience for the TR as it’s always been stainless but I’ve had an manufacturers exhaust in my modern last ten years but in my partners car a non OEM replacement can last only two or three years.  Interesting that a battery can be the same as I’ve had three original batteries last more than ten years - don’t believe in changing cars regularly.

My TR’s exhaust has been fine but the central box ( twin pipe system) has been replaced twice due to grounding.

welcome back Roger.

Paul

My car came with a standard MS system 10 yrs ago which is still serviceable but mileage has been low for the last 5yrs, in 10yrs I will be 80 and may need a hoist to get me in and out of a TR :angry: in which case the lifespan of an MS system may not not be critical so it would be down to bling factor.

Brian

Stainless for me too.

everyone knows this but…… please be aware that stainless exhausts get hot VERY QUICKLY…..

years ago i burned all my fingers adjusting a SS exhaust only a minute after fitting and firing up !

steve

15 hours ago, Hamish said:

Mild steel would be quieter 

ss looks good. 

it tends to be the exhaust gasses that rot out the silencers and not sure if ss is more resistant. 

I have a ss system here

Great video and sound Hamish !

Don't worry, Brian - I'm 82 and don't need a hoist to get into my TR4,, and still manage to crawl about beneath it (once lifted onto ramps and/or axle stands).

Oh, and I have mild steel 4 into 2  mild steel manifold, feeding into stainless at the Y-junction beneath the starter motor and stainless from there to the tail.  Not quiet, but I like the sound of a 4-pot!

Like everyone else, I'm so happy to see Roger back in the fold - better than a visit from Father Christmas!

Ian Cornish

Years ago when I used work on Jaguars a lot I learned from experienced XK owners from the days before stainless exhausts (their standard steel exhausts tended to rot very quickly) the answer to increasing their longevity was to

1. Drill an 1/8" hole in the lowest part of the silencers and 2. When fitting a new system was to tape over one end of the silencers and pour 250mm of cold galvanising paint in, seal the other end then turn it end over end for a few minutes and then allow to drain and then dry off for a few days and they could get at least 10 yrs or more out of their mild steel boxes.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart