Engine Machining

Hi everyone, I will need to rebuild my TR6 engine soon and wondered if anyone had any recommendations on engine machinists in the Nottingham area. Rebore, crank etc.

I can put together but not would like recommendations on the machine work.

Thanks much

Tim

On 12/21/2021 at 5:38 PM, CP26309 said:

And get them to do the 360 degree Thrust Washer conversion!

The 360 degree thrust washer conversion is only really required to try and save a block that would otherwise be scrap. Get in wrong and damage is done.

It's one of those "weak points" which has reached near mythological status but only really applied to high mileage cars, lacking regular oil changes and a tendancy to sit with the clutch depressed for long periods.  Aged high mileage 2000s back in the day that had skimped on servicing built the reputation. Set it up correctly when building the engine and peiodically check the end float after 20k miles.

Whilst a relatively weak point the standard thrusts tend to be good for 70-100 thousand miles.  The key thing is to set the end float accurately. (By using oversize thrusts if required). Never go less than the minimum or you risk the end float being lost when things get hot and the bearing picking up. 

It's a bit like the rocker shafts - last a long time with regular oil changes but do eventually wear.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:38 PM, ntc said:

Stanwood Engineering Bawtry 

On 12/20/2021 at 4:30 PM, stuart said:

Yep they do a great job. https://www.stanwoodengineering.co.uk/

Stuart.

+1 for Stanwood. They did all machining for my current TR5 engine rebuild. When I was in there they had engine blocks, etc in for machine work from both TR Enterprises and Racetorations.

Very helpful and reasonably quick. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Dave McD