Hi All,

Whilst putting in some instrument LEDs, I noticed that the seals between the glass and bezel on my speedo and rev counter are now black dust.  I think I can get a 4mm rope seal through AES (or complete assemblies from bidding sites) but I wonder:

1. Should I just ignore this and refit the gauges back into the dash as is?
  2. Is it possible to peen back the tabs on the chrome bezel (to get the glass out)and bend back later, or will they just snap?  I see one can buy new 5" bezels if needed 
  3. are curved nose pliers the way to go?
  4. Can anyone recommend a seal supplier to use?

Thank you in anticipation

Mark

Hello Mark

It is possible to carefully bend back the tabs to remove the bezel and fit new seals and then refit and squeeze tabs back with suitable pliers with some felt or similar to protect the surface from plier marks. You can buy the seals in lengths that you cut to length and then glue the ends together with superglue to form a ring before fitting in place. Just google speedometer bezel seals and you will come up with something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bezel-Glass-Seal-Smiths-and-British-Jaeger-Instruments-3mm-and-4mm-/131978674215?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIyJGS487w9AIVjO3tCh2wjwDEEAQYAyABEgLS5vD_BwE

Note that there are different bezel profiles out there if you decide to buy new rims so measure the old ones and note the rim profile.

Keith

p.s. Read Rob's reply below - I forgot that you can turn the bezel to remove it.

Edited by keith1948
more info

If you look carefully at the instrument body flange that the bezel attaches to there are cutouts, by rotating the bezel to line up with these cutouts the bezel can be removed, sometimes the bezel is very stiff to move so just releve the tabs slightly with a small screwdriver, too much bending and they will break.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Keith & Rob,

I managed to twist off the bezels and shake out a lot of the black dust/debris from between the glass and the bezels.  I was reluctant to bend back the bezel tabs too much in case they sheared or the glass broke, and so I have just refitted.  There is no play between the glass and bezels, so all seems well without new gasket rope seals.

Maybe another time I will pluck up the courage to peen back the tabs to remove the glass and put in new seal.  However, I could not find any images where people had done that without new bezels.  At least I know that auto electrical spares (and others) stock the seals, glass and bezels if needed.

Regards,

Mark

I have had stuff from them in the past, always through ebay. Never had a problem. Pays to use a credit card though, years back I paid over £100 for a centre stand for an Aprillia m/cycle. Special order and the dealer insisted on payment up front before they would order it in from Italy. It never arrived and next thing was dealer went bust. Barclaycard paid me back straight away.

Ralph