Caliper mounting plates can bend

Hi All,

During a restoration I had uprated front hubs and BCC four pot calipers fitted.

On return of the car I was very disappointed with the brakes as they felt no better (and probably a bit worse) than with the standard calipers which I had always found to be pretty good.

When I removed the nearside front wheel I could immediately see that my new disc was only being partially swept by the pads (see below)

This was traced to a bent caliper mounting plate (also below).

I had never noticed any braking problems in the previous 40 years so perhaps this mounting plate did not come from my car or perhaps once the pads and discs are worn I wouldn't have noticed any uneven wear.

Once the mounting plate was replaced the improvement in braking was immediate and I am now very happy with the brakes.

Whatever the origin of the mounting plate, what really surprised me was that it it could be bent. It is a very solid piece of metal so I can't imagine what could have caused it to bend.

Anyone come across this before?

Regards

Les

Bent caliper mounting plate.JPG

Partial sweep of brake disc.JPG