over-heating issue again, again!

Well 

I am still trying to sort out the temp gauge going immediately to hot, when the engine is cold, issue.

The car is booked into Rees Bros to sort our the timing chain cover oil leak and renew thrust washer and

I asked Andy to renew the temp gauge (I have replaced the sender). Andy says (and Rimmers confirm) that 

you can obtain a replacement gauge. 

So, my question is: does anyone know where I might obtain a temp gauge for a 1972 CP (do black rim). Andy say that they will be able

to strip the current one down to see if it can be fixed, but I would prefer new one (the old one is quite 'knocked about').

As usual, any advice would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Ernest

Hi Ernest,

New (repro?) Smith instruments are still made. 

https://www.caigauge.com/

This company has been recommended by others on this forum (I have no experience with them). I would also order a sensor from them, so both will match (there are different sensors on the market.

Waldi

I had "the same" issue - but always ice cold,

this happened after I had the dashboard with all instruments out some years ago.

The thing is, I should have the older generation of gauges in my TR4A - which are simple but voltage sensible.

Rob and Peter told me the one I have in my 4A is one of the new generation with a plus and a negativ coil - making it not voltage sensitiv.

They helped me to find out how the cables have to be connected correctly - and since that it works lovely again.

Sadly this forum is a  big heap and I cannot find the thread again.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
40 minutes ago, Z320 said:

This if funny (not really), no result at this forum,

browse the internet by Google "TR Register gauge Marco Bob" - and you got it

The link to Marco's thread is: electric terminals on my temperature gauge 

...and I agree, the search is awful (sorry mods - I know it's not your fault, it's the software).

Cheers, Robert

8 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Ernest,

New (repro?) Smith instruments are still made. 

https://www.caigauge.com/

This company has been recommended by others on this forum (I have no experience with them). I would also order a sensor from them, so both will match (there are different sensors on the market.

Waldi

These are not repro Smiths Instruments but made off the original tooling or new tooling that has worn out but some of their products have been modernized to digital. They also make aircraft instruments and are CAA approved!!!!

Bruce.

10 hours ago, rwest said:

The link to Marco's thread is: electric terminals on my temperature gauge 

...and I agree, the search is awful (sorry mods - I know it's not your fault, it's the software).

Cheers, Robert

I recommend to make a short test with the cable to the sensor:

what does the gauge indicates with the cable plugged to the sensor,

and what does it indicates when you ground this cable on the thermostat housing?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I have delt with both CAI and Speedy Cables (who are next door) several times. Why not send the gauge to CAI and get them to check and repair and match to a correct sender. I did this and now have a 100% accurate gauge. (Temp senders and gauges are usually not very accurate) I would tend to use CAI for this task.

Tip? Neither company really reply to e-mails so phone first and sort it ot the old fashoned way. They are very helpful.

I've used Speedy, The gauges come back better than new..

Tim