What does a “Red X” mean on a gantry above a motorway lane?

Hello All,

I listen to a commercial radio station most evenings (Simon Mayo --- Most entertaining), and along with adverts for selling your surplus gold and where to hire a Kango hammer there is this advert, no doubt paid for by the tax payer, that starts with the question:
“What does a “Red X” mean on a gantry above a motorway lane?”

My blood pressure goes up each time I hear it.

I am a great believer in “If it can save one life then it is worth it.” but…. REALLY… do people really need to have such a simple graphic indication explained to them???

Surely, if the police were to stop someone on the motorway (OK, I know it’s most unlikely) and they were not able to give the right answer, then the driver should be banned from ever holding a driving licence for the rest of his/her/their/them’s/it’s life.

The advert goes on to explain (In simple terms, fortunately…) that a "Red X" means that there is a hazard ahead in that particular lane, and that any driver in that lane should move to another lane that does not have a “Red X” showing on the gantry". It even goes on, in a jokey fashion, to let the driver know that we are all in a hurry to get home, and if we move over to a safe lane, we will all get home in time to watch the start of that soap opera we are all wanting to watch.

And there was me, thinking that it meant that the next service area had a good supply of upper cylinder lubricant in stock, and to stay in that lane in order to get some.

Maybe this is why self-driving cars are being developed so fast.

To help the up and coming “Generation Z” drivers. Well… the advert MUST have been written by one of them.

(I wonder if a "Generation Z " driver even knows what an " upper cylinder lubricant" is.)

Charlie.

I don't think these messages have anything to do with concern for the intelligence of the general public.
It is far more to do with legal cover in the case where that 1 person in a million is too stupid to think for themself, and then does something to damage themself.

TT