Good quality respray: costy and where?

Good morning: having this month rebuilt the front suspension (rear done in Autmnn 2020) i have the bit between my teeth to some extent. Merchanically the car goes like a rocket and is bodily sound but living in a relatively short and high car port the weather takes its toll. She was sprayed about 15+ years ago and time is nigh before I retire next year.

How much approx do the following cost (car is Triumph white) circa 1964?

Respray removing bonnet, boot lid and doors - it has a hard top to allow Surrey to be fitted. This to include inside of the bonner and boot lid and A and B posts etc. The engine bay will be hand painted by myself as I have no wish or need to remove same. (There is no underseal anywhere on ther car as removed and painted when body overhauled.

Same as above but to also include front and rear wings removed so that the stainless steel strips will not be covered in spray.

Very minor bodywork required and so little no need to mention.

Further by doing the above two options by flatting down appropriately and spraying or taking to the metal and spraying.

Finally, i live just south of Stoke so anywhere within say 40 mile radius. Quotes i have received vary significantly.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks and regards

Steve

I cannot comment on prices in the UK, but what you are intending is virtually a complete strip down of the body, which is a lot of work in itself, so I am not surprised that there are variety of quote prices..

Prices will depend on who is dismantling and replacing the body panels. The body shop or yourself.

Can your existing colour be matched exactly.

Are you intending to strip the doors completely etc.

Then there is the question on how good are your current panel gaps, any underlying rust, panel alignment, any need to strip some of the panels to bare metal, etc.

Bottom line......what you propose is a lot of work and very costly. Probably equates to at least half the value of the car.

Hi Steve,

Pricing that job is very difficult and would depend what is 'found' as the strip of the paint takes place...

Are you giving the car to the bodyshop externally stripped? As in all external brightwork, w/screen frame etc removed? Best to leave the outer panels on for them to remove, they can assess the gaps & adjust if that's what you want.

Bodywork is a mind field once you get into it... So many what if's!

For a panels off, external respray you would be looking around £10k + VAT if it doesn't require any metal repairs. Note that paint & materials for this will be over £1K for decent quality materials.

To gap the vehicle you could be looking another couple of grand

To bare metal the vehicle, add in the additional materials & labour, that could be £3k

Any decent bodyshop/restoration company do not like the 'customer' to do any prep, it becomes a nightmare if any warranty work is necessary, turns into a he did this, they did that etc.....

Also remember a decent bodyshop will be booked up for months, if they can get you in soon, ask yourself why?

So to answer your question, between £10 and £20k.....

What prices have you had so far? Have they discussed what materials they will use or how they will prepare the panels etc?

Good luck!!

Tom

Hi: the idea is for me to remove front and rear bumpers, grille, front and rear windscreen surround, front and rear wings, bonnet boot and doors. I can refit. Car had new inner and outer sills, floorpans , inner rear wings, rear valence in late noughties so pretty good. Chassis is very good. Engine bay not included as I will repaint by hand.

So in effect prepping (possibly to the metal) and painting.

Steve

"So in effect prepping (possibly to the metal) and painting."

That is a big $ decision in itself, and an immense amount of work if a bare metal resto.

Tom Boyd's comments are valid.

How good or bad is your existing paint and panel fitments.....If reasonable, then your cheapest/easiest option would be a "closed door" respray.

Hi Steve

This is a can of worms I agree with what's already been said and you have to take these comments as a rough guide you really need to visit and discuss with a paint shop or two to get a real idea and then you will only get a estimate which will change by the end unless you can tie some one down to a finished price

Chris  

13 hours ago, trchris said:

unless you can tie some one down to a finished price

Chris  

Not many would give you that on a car of this age.

Stuart.

if you tie down someone to a finished price, he will cut corners to make it happen and potentially ignore issues you may want to tackle, working on old cars is unpredictable and i would accept to pay by the hour to get the job done right.  Laurent

FWIW I stripped my TR5 down totally, to bare metal treated with phosphoric acid and put a coat of rattle can primer on for short term protection. All welding and leading was also done. Chassis was blasted and painted in POR15. Car was supplied to the paint shop with the body on the chassis. I had been quoted a cost of 10k +vat to remove my primer and paint up from bare metal, including further repairs that they were not happy that I had done well enough, all joint sealing, stone chip to the underside and sprayed in body colour, refitting all panels and gapping and waxoyling. Final bill was £11000 + vat. I was sent photos daily of progress. Car was returned to the shop when full fitted up for polishing and to change sill colour to black. I was very pleased with the result. Nearly everybody who has seen the result has commented on the paint job and how deep it looks.

First guy I was going to use had quoted £10,000 as well but when his panel man said the wings were shot and should be replaced with repro ones I walked as I have always understood that repairs were the first choice and replacement a last resort.

It was all good enough to get best in show at our group event and club members can be critical !

Good luck,

Tim