Hoods and Frames

John.

change 4 to 4a or 4a to 4?   the rear deck /forward section is different, see body panels section in the parts catalogue from moss and rimmers.

the TR4A hoodframe is to wide for the TR4 rear deck/forward section...i think...

Marcel

Edited by Quicksilver

i think the big difference is between 4 and 4a, 4a 5 and 6 are similar.  As you take out the frame on a 4 and not on the other, everything is different, mounting points, front and back sections and hood.

I have successfully put in a TR4a frame and hood on my TR4 as that was the part I hated most on the car. It came to the point that I hesitated in taking the car out when the weather forecast predicted rain because I hated setting up the top. Now, I do not care what the weather forecast is because it is easy to put up or down the top.

4 unique frame and fabric.  Fabric attaches to screen by lipping under the front protruding top capping of the screen frame.  Same method as used on 4A/5/250 soft Surrey top fabric

4A.  Unique frame with fixed header rail and fabric with its own attachment to the top of screen using overcentre latches.

250/5. Same frame as 6.   Has fixed header rail design like 4A. Fabric differs in the fact it does not fave a zip out rear window  interchangeable with 6 as an assembly.   Same screen attachment method as 6  uses turning levers that fit in key holes in screen to surface. Has top of door glass cantrail seal. And Velcro attachment to hood fabric

6 same frame as 5/250 Has fixed header rail design like 4A. Fabric has zip out rear window interchangeable with 5/250 as an assembly. Same screen attachment as 5/250.  Same screen attachment method as 5/250 uses turning levers that fit in key holes in screen to surface.  Has top of door glass cantrail seal. And Velcro attachment to hood fabric

250 and US 6 had reflective stripes sewn to the fabric   This does not affect the interchangeability of the fabrics onto 5/6. 

The original fabric types/colour for 4-6 I believe to be ‘Everflex’ black or white.   The Later cars in 6 range had a diamond print on the lower surface denoting fireproof FMVS. 

55 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

4 unique frame and fabric.  Fabric attaches to screen by lipping under the front protruding top capping of the screen frame.  Same method as used on 4A/5/250 soft Surrey top fabric

4A.  Unique frame with fixed header rail and fabric with its own attachment to the top of screen using overcentre latches.

250/5. Same frame as 6.   Has fixed header rail design like 4A. Fabric differs in the fact it does not fave a zip out rear window  interchangeable with 6 as an assembly.   Same screen attachment method as 6  uses turning levers that fit in key holes in screen to surface. Has top of door glass cantrail seal. And Velcro attachment to hood fabric

6 same frame as 5/250 Has fixed header rail design like 4A. Fabric has zip out rear window interchangeable with 5/250 as an assembly. Same screen attachment as 5/250.  Same screen attachment method as 5/250 uses turning levers that fit in key holes in screen to surface.  Has top of door glass cantrail seal. And Velcro attachment to hood fabric

250 and US 6 had reflective stripes sewn to the fabric   This does not affect the interchangeability of the fabrics onto 5/6. 

The original fabric types/colour for 4-6 I believe to be ‘Everflex’ black or white.   The Later cars in 6 range had a diamond print on the lower surface denoting fireproof FMVS. 

Thats a definitive description there Pete. As stated above if you want to go to a more modern hood on a TR4 you cant unless the forward deck extensions have been replaced with the later "Waisted" ones, in all likelyhood most have been replaced by now and as the original panels have been unavailable for at least 30 years then the later ones will have been fitted. Simplest conversion is to use a 4a hood and frame as its pretty much a direct fit. FWIW I do have a spare hood and frame though obviously distance maybe a bit of an obstacle unless you fancy a holiday in Cornwall.

Stuart.