Halfshaft Boot and Gaitor?

Hi,

Last year I fitted a new 'uprated' half shaft on the nearside. It came with the large boot that sort of covers the inner UJ, but no gaiter over the sliding surface (it has a seal). So I fitted it with the boot and no gaiter.

I am now fitting the same on the off side. This time the shaft came without a boot or gaiter. I'm wondering whether to fit the old boot which is in reasonable condition, and again no gaiter. However I'm now concerned as to whether I should fit a gaiter to both sides - or is it okay without. My preference would be to get rid of all this ugly rubber if it's not really neccessary.

Pics of old and new below.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alistair.

Old Offside Half Shaft.jpg

New Offside Half Shaft.jpg

Rest assured that when the MOT man looks at it and thinks it should have a gaiter over the sliding spline they will tell you.    The inner bell shaped gaiter covering the uj was not always fitted.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Peter

Why? There's not a gaiter fitted to a sliding joint on a prop shaft so should make no difference on a drive shaft sliding joint so cannot think the MOT man would need to mention anything I certainly would not have unless there's excessive play in the splines which could be deemed a dangerous defect 

Chris 

The design of the new shaft you have in the picture has a cork seal retained by a screwed cap, same as a prop shaft.  Later axle shafts have no such sealing system to keep the lubricant in and dirt out.   Hence the rubber bellows seal.

The MOT inspector may view the sliding drive shaft to be integral to suspension operation, like the cv joint on a front wheel drive car, and needing a seal.

Marco has provided lip seals to his axle shafts in place.  The gaiter should make the shaft spline last longer and work correctly when properly lubricated.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT