Radiator stainless steel water return pipe - part no.158417ss not fitting

I have just purchased stainless steel radiator return pipe with boss and thermostatic fan switch for my 73 uk TR6, part no.158417ss. However this new one is quite a different bended shape than my old one and the upper end does not seem to align correctly with the water pump housing connection. Fitting it would seem to bend the 90 deg. hose to quite a bit less than 90 deg. My old stainless one was not the best made but at least fitted but will need a repair.

Were there different water pump housings and radiators that would explain my problem? Has anyone encountered this before?

MARK

44 minutes ago, MARK said:

I have just purchased stainless steel radiator return pipe with boss and thermostatic fan switch for my 73 uk TR6, part no.158417ss. However this new one is quite a different bended shape than my old one and the upper end does not seem to align correctly with the water pump housing connection. Fitting it would seem to bend the 90 deg. hose to quite a bit less than 90 deg. My old stainless one was not the best made but at least fitted but will need a repair.

Were there different water pump housings and radiators that would explain my problem? Has anyone encountered this before?

MARK

two different radiator types Mark, each with a different outlet position on the bottom, this is why there are two different stainless pipes available.

Thanks for that iani ! Looking at the earlier radiator and the later one, the angle of the lower exit stubs are different !

Hence there are two different stainless pipes, one for TR 5 and early tr6 - and one for later TR6 type radiator !!!  However they both seem to have the same part number !!! . As a lot of early tr6s may have had the radiator  replaced with the later radiator, so beware when ordering this part.

Useful tool his Forum ! Help supplied when sitting on floor in the garage scratching ones head in bewilderment staring at bits what don't fit !!!!!:huh:

11 minutes ago, MARK said:

Useful tool his Forum ! Help supplied when sitting on floor in the garage scratching ones head in bewilderment staring at bits what don't fit !!!!!:huh:

Been there and done that and been rescued by the forum. 

thanks forumites

Apparently all the main suppliers supply TWO different stainless downpipes. One for TR 5 and early TR6 because of difference in radiators. However they only seem to supply ONE stainless steel pipe with a BOSS for a thermostatic switch for all non US cars !!!  Am I right about this ?

Do they fit both radiator types without modification ???

MARK

28 minutes ago, MARK said:

Apparently all the main suppliers supply TWO different stainless downpipes. One for TR 5 and early TR6 because of difference in radiators. However they only seem to supply ONE stainless steel pipe with a BOSS for a thermostatic switch for all non US cars !!!  Am I right about this ?

MARK

Have a look here Mark https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british-cars/triumph/triumph-tr5-tr250-and-tr6-1968-1976/cooling-system/radiator-tr5-250-tr6-carburettor-to-may-1975-all-tr6-p-i.html#11

1 hour ago, MARK said:

MARK

Cock up by the parts suppliers.  
As the person who originally wrote the Moss TR5/250/6 parts catalogue I can assure you the original printed version contains these different tubes.   The one with the welded threaded boss is an aftermarket accessory but there should still be two shapes of connector tube.

As stated the radiator bottom hose outlet moved position during the production of the TR6.   This outlet tube movement requires a connector tube with different bends.   So there are two types of tube.