Overheating contd.

Hi all

Just following up the overheating problem I posted about a week or so ago.

I replaced the thermostat this morning but on running the engine the temperature gauge went straight

to max!!!

A stone cold engine but temp. gauge indicating max temp.

So it seems to be a faulty gauge.. I guess it might be the connection to the engine but this seem odd as

has been working fine for years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best Wishes

Ernest

1 minute ago, Ernest said:

Hi all

Just following up the overheating problem I posted about a week or so ago.

I replaced the thermostat this morning but on running the engine the temperature gauge went straight

to max!!!

A stone cold engine but temp. gauge indicating max temp.

So it seems to be a faulty gauge.. I guess it might be the connection to the engine but this seem odd as

has been working fine for years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best Wishes

Ernest

Check the sender resistance

Stuart.

You probably have a short-circuit to earth on the sender lead.  Since you have been working at the thermostat housing I would look there first.  It is also possible, as Stuart suggests, that something has happened to the sender itself.

30 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Hi Stuart and RobH

Thanks for responses.

Please excuse my embarrassing ignorance, but where would I find the 'sender unit'?

Best Wishes

Ernest

Underneath the thermostat housing on the left/passenger side.

Stuart.

By the thermostat housing (where  the water pipe comes out the front of the engine to the rad)

Tim

Brilliant l!

Thanks Stuart and Tim

Have just ordered a replacement from Rimmers.

It seems that.... as new thermostat and soon a new sender then, if the problem continues I assume it would

most likely be a faulty be the gauge.

Thanks again

Best Wishes

Ernest

4 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Brilliant l!

Thanks Stuart and Tim

Have just ordered a replacement from Rimmers.

It seems that.... as new thermostat and soon a new sender then, if the problem continues I assume it would

most likely be a faulty be the gauge.

Thanks again

Best Wishes

Ernest

Good luck with that if its come from there, Hopefully theyve sent one thats the correct temperature range. Check the wiring to it as well.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

If the the temperature sender fails then I would suspect that it would more likely fail open circuit. As the previous posters suggest it may be better to look for a short circuit. For reference, mine reads 1.812 kOhms in a chilly garage at 8.5C. I would check it against that figure as a starting point.

Regards

Tom

Before you suspect the gauge Ernest , do a simple test.  Unplug the wire from the sender and turn on the ignition. The gauge should read cold.  Touch the wire to earth, the gauge should read hot.  If that happens then both the wire and the gauge are OK.  

If the gauge continues to read hot even with the wire un-plugged, there is probably a short to earth somewhere along the wire. 

Thanks all for the useful suggestions - Yours does concern me somewhat Stuart.... I view you as the go-too expert of parts quality.

Let's hope the standard of Rimmer's parts is now at least adequate.

I will definitely try your suggest RobH  - it seems obvious when I read your advice but I had not even thought of this.

Best Wishes

Ernest

On 12/10/2021 at 8:51 PM, Ernest said:

Thanks CP26309

But the radiator is cool when the gauge reads hot - it does seem to be the cooling system itself but the way in which temperature is monitored.

Best Wishes

Ernest

If the radiator and block are cold when the gauge reads hot it's the gauge.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:17 PM, RobH said:

Before you suspect the gauge Ernest , do a simple test.  Unplug the wire from the sender and turn on the ignition. The gauge should read cold.  Touch the wire to earth, the gauge should read hot.  If that happens then both the wire and the gauge are OK.  

If the gauge continues to read hot even with the wire un-plugged, there is probably a short to earth somewhere along the wire. 

+1,

Rob helped me with this test to solve my problems earlier this year,

thanks again