Driving on snow and ice

58 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

They certainly make a weird nose on tarmac!    But if you had never heard it, MTs, I think you may be forgiven your sins!

Weirdest thing I had with spikes was during a particularly cold snap I had a rhythmic clonking noise for the 1st mile or so each morning on the way to work. I finally tracked it down to the flat spots in the tyres from when the car had been parked over night had frozen into the rubber, it took the mile to warm the tyres enough for them to become round again.

George 

We had spikes here at Germany also until 1975.

I remember how my father recycled and still used them years later by pulling the spikes with a pincers.

And how I wanted to help him as a +11 years old boy with very poor success.

Edited by Z320
5 minutes ago, Z320 said:

We had spikes here at Germany also until 1975.

I remember how my father recycled and still used them years later by pulling the spikes with a pincers.

And how I wanted to help him as a +11 years old boy with very poor success.

You can still buy them https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studs-Anti-Slip-Chains-Spikes-Motorcycle/dp/B077PBGLKD?th=1

Stuart.

Some great memories of the Arctic Winter Trial….. We raced across some of the 1000 (frozen) lakes…… I will forever contend that saving a few quid on ‘cheap’ tyres cost us the outright win!

Huge, huge learning curve but, however sophisticated and powerful your driving train, the studded tyres are the most fundamentally critical 
3E1FB9EB-FB41-4CBF-A338-17CC4EE5AEA3.thumb.jpeg.fe1dc2650800d0bd05a811aea11664e5.jpeg

Driving down a steep ice-snow-covered hill road in the old CRV I found the ABS too effective- it triggered and the car slid faster. The answer I was told is ot remove the fuse, allowing the wheels to lock up and build a wedge of snow to slow progress. Have yet to see what the Dacia does in that situation, but I doubt theres a separate fuse to pull. Peter

I too learnt about snow driving on an RAF airfield although my experience was with Victors.  My car at the time was a 2 stroke 3 cylinder 4 speed Saab 95, lovely very narrow tyres and flat underneath - just slid over the top of snow drifts.  Unsurprisingly, it also had an absolutely brilliant heater.  It made Christmas duty on the dispersals a real pleasure.

Summer's over. It's 15 below. 

Yippee!

Buy an open top sports car!  :)

(Must admit, my 3A is a blast in the snow. But without a heater, even by 1950s advertising standards, "sliding side panels keep you fireside snug" is venturing well beyond the realms of fantasy!)

TRadvWintA1.thumb.jpg.861113f76d5803102b794618ec24a129.jpg

Deggers

Edited by Deggers
On 12/7/2021 at 4:47 PM, Peter Cobbold said:

Driving down a steep ice-snow-covered hill road in the old CRV I found the ABS too effective- it triggered and the car slid faster. The answer I was told is ot remove the fuse, allowing the wheels to lock up and build a wedge of snow to slow progress. Have yet to see what the Dacia does in that situation, but I doubt theres a separate fuse to pull. Peter

Seem to think my Nissan X-Trail had a snow mode setting that had this effect. Never had the need to use it though.

Alan.