Lucas PL700 Halogen headlight units.

Has anyone had any experience of these

Triumph Tr Tr2 3 Rhd Lucas PL 700 Style Tripod Head Lamps New Halogen Design | eBay

Different medallion, more like the expensive ones available, but the price is nearer the cheap chinese items.

Ralph

.ebay.co.uk/itm/363133182551

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
40 minutes ago, Lebro said:

+1  awful beam pattern, lit up the tops of trees on full beam.

Bob

That was precisely my experience with original Lucas Tripods when fitted with halogen conversion light bulbs.  

Those halogen twin filament bulbs were a complete waste of money when fitted in old BPF lamp assemblies.  Like others I went on to fit the Cibie Z beam units which were designed for use with H4 halogen filaments.   

This experience may be irrelevant with modern designed tripod style headlamps.  They may well have got the bulb in the right place and the shape of the lens face redesigned.  That should get the light going in the right direction.......

Let us not forget that some tripod lamps were originally designed for transverse rather than axial filament bulbs.  Would that affect the light emission?

I recall testing, some 35 years ago, a batch of repro BPF bulbs in a genuine BPF Lucas lamp unit fitted in a MGTC.  As a benchmark we used an original BPF bulb from a pristine 'continental touring kit'  The light out put of the repro bulbs was all wrong.  We duly rejected the bulbs as unsuitable for sale.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I might splash out and buy myself a pair from Better Car Lighting for Christmas. I already have one pair of duff chinese copies, don`t need a second.  I know I could go down the Wipac or Hella or Cibie route, but I like the look of the tripod lamps.

Ralph

You may regret it, also his products are very expensive compared to other good suppliers.

A friend of mine has just fitted a pair of 7" H4 headlamps to his Herald, & they have a good beam pattern. They were not Valeo ones (which I have & have recommended in the past) but cheaper. I will ask where he got them from, & report back. Fitted with these LED bulbs they were very good.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/led-headlights-h4-fully-integrated-6000-lumen-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=42325174794

Bob.

18 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

My Lucas copies are rubbish. Anyone know where I can get some decent Cibies from?

Does this look right?  Be sure they are for RHD aka left hand traffic.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114784752936?hash=item1ab9b45528:g:4EQAAOSwdwhgiBPX

they have one only.  For that cyclops TR

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 hours ago, Lebro said:

You may regret it, also his products are very expensive compared to other good suppliers.

A friend of mine has just fitted a pair of 7" H4 headlamps to his Herald, & they have a good beam pattern. They were not Valeo ones (which I have & have recommended in the past) but cheaper. I will ask where he got them from, & report back. Fitted with these LED bulbs they were very good.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/led-headlights-h4-fully-integrated-6000-lumen-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=42325174794

Bob.

I agree Better car Lighting may be expensive but the products (IMHO) and certainly the service I have had from Gill has been superb. 

Ralph, I would like to know what you think of the new tripods if you treat yourself  

I have a pair of the P700 fitted to my car. I bought the more expensive ones with Halogen bulbs rather than Ebay ones and I must say I'm pleased with mine. You're now going to ask me where I got them from. Off hand I can't remember but I'll try to find the old invoice and if I do I'll post it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

How was re silvering done?

i separated the lens from the reflector cleaned them back . The process is actually a form of tinning , used in producing reflectors,. The finish was significantly  better that some of the sealed beam units . £90 for the pair   you can see the  runs in the original silvering at the bottom of the reflector 

old headelights (5).JPG

old headlights (3).jpg

Edited by Nobbysr
missed info

Am I right in thinking that the glass for these is the same as the mini and if so are they still available. I have my old original headlights which I would consider resilvering  but I would also need a glass.