TR3A tyre pressure.

Can of worms!

That info was for cross ply tyres on standard 4” wide rims.

What type size tyres rims do you have fitted?

Any modified bits like front anti roll bar, stronger springs, special dampers?

I run 5.5” wide rims with 165x 80 section radial tyres and have the tyres at 30 psi all round.

My car is a  TR3 (1958 model) &  has factory competition springs front and rear.  + Revington improved Ackerman angle steering levers and TR4 3 degree castor trunnions and 2 degree negative camber vertical posts.   I have just removed the front anti roll bar.  That action has softened the front suspension and hopefully lost the initial trailing throttle under steer.

I will now fix my tin hat in place and await other responses.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Welcome to the forums 'Jeg'  - can we have a name to call you by ?

If you used those pressures you would find the steering mighty heavy at parking speeds. Like Pete I use 30 psi all round on my '3a,  which seems to work well. 

Rob

"I run 5.5” wide rims with 165x 80 section radial tyres and have the tyres at 30 psi all round. 

I have just removed the front anti roll bar.  That action has softened the front suspension and hopefully lost the initial trailing throttle under steer."

Absolutely the way to go +1.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I ran my 3A on 165/80s with 24 front and 26 rear until  a few months ago when it was suggested I try 30 all around and it transformed the steering. I also tried 30 psi in the 195/65 tyres on my TR6, this was less successful so its back to 24 and 26 on that one.

George 

My modified TR3A,uprated suspension incl front thick antiroll bar............ 5.5"  72 spoke wires, Tyres: 185/65        (steering also modified)

26 front and 28 rear ....gives perfect handling with firm enough ride and no roll.       If I increased to 30 it would feel too hard but OK for Hillclimb/track.

So many variations we have!

Cheers, Chris.

8 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Can of worms!

That info was for cross ply tyres on standard 4” wide rims.

What type size tyres rims do you have fitted?

Any modified bits like front anti roll bar, stronger springs, special dampers?

I run 5.5” wide rims with 165x 80 section radial tyres and have the tyres at 30 psi all round.

My car is a  TR3 (1958 model) &  has factory competition springs front and rear.  + Revington improved Ackerman angle steering levers and TR4 3 degree castor trunnions and 2 degree negative camber vertical posts.   I have just removed the front anti roll bar.  That action has softened the front suspension and hopefully lost the initial trailing throttle under steer.

I will now fix my tin hat in place and await other responses.

My daily driver TR2 has stock suspension with a front ARB. I only fitted the ARB a few months ago and I feel it has tightened the steering and aids quicker cornering without the front tucking under.

What is the benefit of removing the front ARB in your situation?

15 hours ago, JEG said:

Hi, the book I have saying 20psi front and 22psi rear. Is this right?

Hi Jeg, this was for cross ply tyres which have a much stiffer construction. I am running 195/65 tyres and initially had them at 28 all round, but after discussions on here I upped the fronts to 30 and it improved the initial turn in considerably. 

Ralph.

6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

My daily driver TR2 has stock suspension with a front ARB. I only fitted the ARB a few months ago and I feel it has tightened the steering and aids quicker cornering without the front tucking under.

What is the benefit of removing the front ARB in your situation?

When turning into a corner without throttle the car tried to go straight on. Requiring continual sawing with the steering wheel. A Squirt of throttle and the car re aligned  itself/flattened.  Not helpful when you are slowing on a long curving motorway off ramp.   Good fun when entering a motorway as it meant the throttle pedal could be planted hard down.   So long as there was not some 4x4 diddling around adjusting their radio and seat to motorway mode.  In which case get ready to start sawing as you come off the throttle as you wait to get round them.