Quite so, the cars were never badged 3A, only change was on the TRIUMPH emblem on the front changed from black & red to black & blue, & lost the "TRIUMPH" word. this was replaced with individual letters below it, & also on the rear.  The car was always officialy a "TR3"  

Bob

+1. However I'm not sure the Black and Red to Black and Blue enamel badge switch, coincided with the introduction of the 1958 TR3?

The question then is who started calling the 1958 model TR3, the TR3A, and when? :D

Iain

It seems that the first TR3A, TS 22014 which dates from September 1957 still has a red and black medallion and that the change for the blue and white one occurs on TS 41878 in January 1959 ... ;)

A TR3A is a TR3 and a TR3B is also a TR3… but a TR2 is a TR2 ! :D

Edited by Teher
1 hour ago, Teher said:

It seems that the first TR3A, TS 22014 which dates from September 1957 still has a red and black medallion and that the change for the blue and white one occurs on TS 41878 in January 1959 ... ;)

A TR3A is a TR3 and a TR3B is also a TR3… but a TR2 is a TR2 ! :D

+1

+1 But who started the new description.

The nomenclature has also been adopted by BMIHT, they refer to 1958 model year TR3’s as TR3a’s although the Factory traces do not. All 5 Works Apple green Cars for 1958 were built in November 57, all to Export speciation ( UK launch was January 58) all are referred to as Tr3’s on the factory build sheets. Earliest of these cars is TS23***. Most had the Black and Red front apron badge, one had the earlier version with “Triumph” in the badge from day one of its career. I’ll get my anorak now :-)

Iain

1 hour ago, OldBob said:

Unless the TR2 is a Francorchamps !

TR2F  ?

They are great cars. Never seen one in real life though. 

I presume the "3a" designation was coined to differentiate the wide mouthed grill versions by someone, and it stuck. However Triumph themselves used the idea later on the 4A, when the considerable change to the rear suspension would have warranted upping to TR5.

Also is a beam axled 4A still a 4A or just a 4.

Ralph

28 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I presume the "3a" designation was coined to differentiate the wide mouthed grill versions by someone, and it stuck. However Triumph themselves used the idea later on the 4A, when the considerable change to the rear suspension would have warranted upping to TR5.

Also is a beam axled 4A still a 4A or just a 4.

Ralph

4A as it has the chassis and front suspension  change.   Same chassis for IRS as the rigid axle TR4A. 

12 hours ago, Hamish said:

They are great cars. Never seen one in real life though. 

Here you go.

Stuart.

International 2010 009.jpg

On 12/2/2021 at 7:07 PM, iain said:

+1. However I'm not sure the Black and Red to Black and Blue enamel badge switch, coincided with the introduction of the 1958 TR3?

The question then is who started calling the 1958 model TR3, the TR3A, and when? :D

Iain

We had this discussion in the German TR Forum (tr-freun.de):

The Triumph Guide, Dave Allen/Dick Strome, Modern Sports Car Series, New York 1959 (3. Printing 1960) speaks of a TR-3A (sic!) (page 71-73).

And in 1962 (at the latest) the name TR3A came to England (P. Olyslager, Motor Manuals 18; see pic).

Both books were written with support from Standard Triumph, so the A became officially approved obviously...

Olyslager.jpg

Edited by Black Forest TR3A
14 hours ago, John Morrison said:

You think that car looks good in a photo,

Should've seen it in the flesh, breathtaking.

John.

It is Ive seen it a few times, theres also this one not quite so good.

Stuart.

Waterloo-20140713-00563_zps78049d0a.jpg