triumph tr3 lhd to rhd conversion

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

I'm sure there must be something !

Theyre a real help for reference later, I had to squirrel away hundreds of pictures of Italias to help with the resto of the one here as it was in such poor condition.

Stuart.

I agree with you Stuart and I was just having a gentle dig at Bob. When I was restoring my TR3a I used save pictures from the forum as well as walking round the IWE with my camera capturing the details of anything I though might be useful. I still have that archive and refer to it occasionally. 

With regard to this particular subject, I searched for and found a photo similar to Bob’s which I used to crank my LHD pedals to RHD along with refabricating a RHD accelerator pedal.

Rgds Ian

8 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

I agree with you Stuart and I was just having a gentle dig at Bob. When I was restoring my TR3a I used save pictures from the forum as well as walking round the IWE with my camera capturing the details of anything I though might be useful. I still have that archive and refer to it occasionally. 

With regard to this particular subject, I searched for and found a photo similar to Bob’s which I used to crank my LHD pedals to RHD along with refabricating a RHD accelerator pedal.

Rgds Ian

on the subject of lhd pedals can they be moved across to rhd without any change to them!!! also,thank god for bob and the tr register,1 photo is worth 20 diagrams,keep clicking away i.e.what do you mean by "crank"!!!!

11 minutes ago, phil farnden said:

on the subject of lhd pedals can they be moved across to rhd without any change to them!!! also,thank god for bob and the tr register,1 photo is worth 20 diagrams,keep clicking away i.e.what do you mean by "crank"!!!!

You can re-use a set of LHD pedals for a RHD car but they need to be bent to a slightly different angle.  That's what I meant by cranked.  You can use Bob's picture as a guide.

Rgds Ian

Yes they can easily be bent over and I did the same when I converted my 4a along with aligning them specifically for my big feet ;)

Stuart.

Brake & clutch on mine were LHD, (off a later USA TR3 I used as a donor for panels & hydraulics).

Very little tweaking required, & I suspect you don't really need to do anything.

Bob

I don’t remember bending mine but I may be wrong.

The accelerator setup is a bit more complicated. I’m sure I’ve seen the bits available, but at quite a price. I made the bent rod bit and the brackets it goes through as I went along. I was never really happy with it and a few months ago I converted it to cable operation, again home designed/made.

If you don’t mind changing from original I think it’s a better option, but you still need to fix a shaft on which the pedal can pivot OR get hold of a Herald throttle pedal that screws to the floor and the cable comes up through the bulkhead.

Maybe Bob has pictures of a cable operated throttle, but if not, and you need some let me know and I’ll go out and take a few.
(Unfortunately my photos will not be as good as Bob's or Pete’s)

Charlie.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:14 PM, Lebro said:

20200504_145304.jpg.e213bae69cb6b7956a8fcc920b0ab46d.jpg

Bob

For comparison here is the photo of my un modified lhd pedal set which I just moved across.  I have learned to live with it and find that the main nuisance is catching the left side of my left foot on the dipswitch bracket. Although I have just noticed that said bracket and dipswitch are different (and wider) than Bobs, so that might be next item to change.

Ralph

20211205_094917.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

I think your dipswitch bracket was made to fit the wider bodied switch, also I not you do not have the two side fixing bolts fitted. if you look under the carpet you should find two captive nuts to accept these bolts.

As I recall the only change I had to make to the (Girling MC) pedals was to move the brake pedal over to the right a tad. did not touch the clutch one. My reference was my original RHD Lockheed pedal setup.

Bob

Thats a TR4 Dipswitch., I moved my pedals over to allow my foot in work boots to rest on the dipswitch and still clear the pedal.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

For comparison here is the photo of my un modified lhd pedal set which I just moved across.  I have learned to live with it and find that the main nuisance is catching the left side of my left foot on the dipswitch bracket. Although I have just noticed that said bracket and dipswitch are different (and wider) than Bobs, so that might be next item to change.

Ralph

20211205_094917.jpg

thanks, all photo,s and info greatly received.

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

I think your dipswitch bracket was made to fit the wider bodied switch, also I not you do not have the two side fixing bolts fitted. if you look under the carpet you should find two captive nuts to accept these bolts.

Bob

Hi Bob, the other two bolts are there, but hidden by the return on the bracket. I downloaded a template for the bracket that some kind soul had drawn, and it has about a 1/4 inch return to the flange where the 2 bolts go through. I don`t think I could make it much narrower without changing to the earlier type switch as it is squashed up against the tunnel already.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Thats a TR4 Dipswitch., I moved my pedals over to allow my foot in work boots to rest on the dipswitch and still clear the pedal.

Stuart.

Same as listed by Moss for post 60000 3a, but then I noticed looking at Neil Revingtons site he claims that the bracket was deleted from post 60000 3a`s, so presumably that later type of switch must have just been secured direct to the bulkhead with self tappers. My car still had the captive nuts for the bracket.

Ralph

• 4 weeks later...

Just jumping this topic up again, has anyone got a photo of an original RHD pedal set up. Bobs is a modified LHD, my photo is of an un modified LHD set up, but in the parts book I see that both clutch and brake pedals were different part no`s for left and right hand drive.  I am about to remove the pedal assembly to straighten my brake pedal, so I may as well do the clutch too if there is much difference.

Thanks, Ralph