Water Pump Question

Having no experience of TR6 water pumps, other than the Stanpart original that I removed from my engine a while back, I find that I need to call upon the collective expertise of the Forum.

I recently (last week) bought a new water pump from one of the usual sources.  It arrived in a box that states that it is Made in India by County.  Removing from the sealed plastic bag it passed the visual inspection (looks like a TR6 water pump) but when I came to spin the nose I found that it was quite resistant to spinning.  It moves smoothly but it doesn't spin freely, having applied a flick of the wrist input.  It is like it is running in treacle (or very thick grease). My experience with more modern motors is that water pumps should have no play but spin freely.

By contrast to the new pump, applying the same input to the original pump will see it spin for maybe 2 or 3 revolutions.

So my question is this: Is the new pump ok and just needs a few miles to 'free up' or should I be returning it to the supplier as not fit for purpose.

Thanks in advance for any constructive suggestions.

It could well be that the mechanical seal is sticking a bit. That should improve once in service.

If you still have the old part and if it it is not a repro, keep it for refurbishing. There is a UK-based company doing this for very reasonable money. Others can provide more info, I have no personal experience with them.

Waldi

16 minutes ago, Waldi said:

It could well be that the mechanical seal is sticking a bit. That should improve once in service.

If you still have the old part and if it it is not a repro, keep it for refurbishing. There is a UK-based company doing this for very reasonable money. Others can provide more info, I have no personal experience with them.

Waldi

Thats good advice, also whilst you have no water in the system, and if its been there along time, I'd change the thermostat.

When done re-fill 25% Blue antifreeze mix, and don't forget to bleed the system.

John.

Had this on a resealed TR3 pump recently.  Our guess was the seal sticking/dragging.

Once the pump had water around the impeller it ran more freely.

Perhaps before fitting try...immerse the pump operating impeller in a bucket of water, turn and feel for any difference.

Hi - I have a small stock of OE water pumps already reconditioned by EP Services, but mostly for the 4 cylinder cars  - I have one NOS pump which I think is for a TR5/6 with a bolt on pulley - is that right? First two photos are of this pump - the others are of a 4 pot pump.

All of these turn smoothly but none will carry on turning under their own impetus - to my mind, that's just the drag of the new seal and bearings so I don't think you have anything to worry about 

Cheers Rich 

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

The drag from the seal will be tiny compared with the drag from the water being pumped. It just isn't of any consequence and at least shows that the seal is doing its job.   

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Thats good advice, also whilst you have no water in the system, and if its been there along time, I'd change the thermostat.

When done re-fill 25% Blue antifreeze mix, and don't forget to bleed the system.

John.

Do not use pink anti-freeze as it is known to attack classic car hoses!

Bruce

Thanks one and all for the responses.

The consensus seems to be that I'm overthinking it and all will be well.

I didn't realise that the pumps were serviceable as mine isn't the greaseable type.  The reason I bought a replacement was that the pump has been off the car for 3 years (due to long term rebuild) and when I came to refit it I found it chirps when spun, suggesting to me that the bearings were dried out.   

1 minute ago, Ragtag said:

I didn't realise that the pumps were serviceable as mine isn't the greaseable type.  The reason I bought a replacement was that the pump has been off the car for 3 years (due to long term rebuild) and when I came to refit it I found it chirps when spun, suggesting to me that the bearings were dried out.   

Hi - I think I'm right in saying (but please check first) EP Services can rebuild non-greaseable units, so you could send yours off to have as a spare - whilst OE refurbed units have a grease nipple, once rebuilt the grease nipple is only for show as the bearings are sealed for life and they shouldn't be greased.

Can you tell from my first photos whether that is a TR5/pump please

Cheers Rich

Hi Rich,

I am pretty sure the pump in your first picture is a TR5/early TR6 pump. Wish I had one like that in my spare box.

Cheers,
Waldi

11 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Rich,

I am pretty sure the pump in your first picture is a TR5/early TR6 pump. Wish I had one like that in my spare box.

Cheers,
Waldi

Waldi - thanks for confirming - Any ideas what it's worth? Might be tempted to sell it:huh:

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, Ragtag said:

I know of only one that failed and that had lasted well make sure the pulley and belt are correct and not too tight 

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

Waldi - thanks for confirming - Any ideas what it's worth? Might be tempted to sell it:huh:

Cheers Rich

Hi Rich,

You have a pm.

Waldi