Steering column switch cowls

I have been refitting the steering column switches and the 2 part plastic cowl to my 4a (overdrive). The new plastic cowls seem very poor quality and don't meet at the bottom securing screw hole once the top is secured; they are tight around the shape of the steering column so I can't see how they fit. Is this a common issue, who sells better quality cowls or are decent second hand ones better? My originals were baked brittle in the Californian sun!

Thanks

David

Hi David,

I had exactly the same problem with the cowls for my 4A. Thin and weak. However, with a bit of persuation and cutting, I just managed to get the two screws in.

I had to relieve a lot of the plastic by cutting slicing it where is surrounds the column. If I remember correctly I got them off an ebay seller, probably a mistake, maybe they would have been better from one of the big suppliers.

I am planning a bit of restoration around the dash area so I may possibly replace these poor quality pieces.

You might get hold of “good” original second hand ones from Mark at MT Classics. You’ll find his details on his EBay shop. His number is  07712 129831, I’ve bought quite a bit from him and it’s always been good, and he’s been very helpful.

Ian