Hi Folks,

Sadly I think it is time to say good bye to you all.

Things, yesterday, on here came to a head and I can't justify the situation. The only answer is for me to not be on here.

I may read as a guest but I will not log in. So the badly named/placed Alec's Inn will be off limits and so will PM's

To all my friends - thank you.

Good Bye

Roger

That's very sad Roger, those that know you realise that you're a very decent man with the values that keep society stitched together. I don't know the details or what was said but I hope in future we can again chat.

Mick Richards

+1

If you are still reading this Roger please reconsider. I for one have learned more from you on here, particularly re mechanical and electrical matters, than from anyone else I can think of. You will really be missed!

Tim

Edited by tim hunt

Please reconsider Roger - your contributions both technical and non are a lifeblood of this forum.

Alec's Inn was established - imho - as an area where sometimes controversial topics could be discussed, so again - imho - we should be able to have the channel debate there - just as we would down our local Inn.

Very sad Roger, like Tim I hope you will reconsider, your comments on mechanical, electrical, and technical matters I have invaluable as no doubt anyone new to our club and cars have also found , your input and help will be sorely missed

Chris

Roger don’t  go !!

whilst I think we get more from you, than you do from us, it would be a lesser place not to have you here.

Please reconsider. It’s not backing down from your principals it’s the opposite it’s you helping us (me) the people of the forum. 

what do they say easier to effect change from the inside. 

besides you would miss us. 

have a think before you pull the plug.

I look forward to your technical knowledge and wisdom in the not too distant future to keep me and my TR going.

H

Roger

Very sorry that you feel you must cease participating as a Member. Of course I respect your decision but never say never. Your decision makes clear your strength of feeling but perhaps after a period of absence, I hope you will feel able to join in again.

I also hope that you will continue to contribute with your profound technical knowledge and innovation from which so many of us have benefited. If not, that will be a great loss to the community but I will continue to look out for you at TR-related events and look forward to chatting as in the past.

Miles

Wow Roger, that's a great shock and loss to just so many of us, including the multitude in the shadows., who watch and read, and learn so much from those who both do and share the TR(s) in their lives.  

Like others, I do hope that after a cooling down period you may reconsider and feel comfortable in participating again.  If it is of useful consideration then I might share that I was very upset with posts on another Triumph forum ..and was on the threshold to leave.  I wrote directly to those involved with a (relatively unemotive) explanation of why I was upset with what they said and how I felt such behaviour was no good for the future of the club nor the marque.  And then, after a cooling down period (..of some six weeks !) - I found it within myself to not be pushed away from the club & forum I pay to be a participating member of.   Without resorting to expletives, I said to myself..  Why should I be angered into moving on ...when they are in the wrong.!?   I'm now very glad to have stood my ground, as I've benefited multi-fold from that forum, the actual help in doing a job &/or with parts from members (..that I would have otherwise not heard of), and most importantly have made some worthwhile friends.   

On this forum, I've only resorted to blocking, from seeing the posts of, just one person ..whose one-liners carried (for me) such negativity that they sapped energy from the room.     

..but you Roger, participate, share and contribute to this forum in such uplifting good spirit.  And although we have only met briefly, I enjoy and hearing from you, reading of your advice and experience, seeing your photos, and hearing more of your cars and trips.  Take your time ..but know that you and yours will always be gladly welcomed (back) here as friends.

Pete 

Roger.

I would agree with all that has been said previously. 

As a more recent member I really have appreciated your advise, and your engineering help, particularly with regard to the TR2 early bonnet catch spun spring pockets.

I hope you will not mind if I keep in touch if there are any TR related issues that I need advise on.

Kind regards, and stay safe. Russell

No one has yet mentioned your sense of humor. You could always bring a bit of fun to the most technical of situations. (Same as with Fireman Tom, he went the same way...)

Jeez… This is beginning to sound a bit like an obituary.

Charlie.

18 minutes ago, Allan Westbury said:

I will be sorry to see you go Roger, your technical knowledge has been invaluable to me and many others. Hopefully you will still be available for technical advice.

All the best,

Allan

Is that it Allen? 

I rather hope you're working behind the scenes to sort this situation out?

Andrew

There are very few people who make a real difference to TR ownership, both technical and comical, and Roger is an unsung hero in many ways. His positive attitude to solving problems, his work with improving parts through a constructive and measure way with PQI and the SDF has added value to TR ownership over many years (unappreciated by the TR Register and is something I believe the club should be doing rather than relying on individuals goodwill but that is another debate I will steer clear of)
Like others have posted, I hope Roger reconsiders and recognises that appreciation for his contributions comes from members and friends across the world.
Ian

Hi Roger

Very sad to read your decision. 

But I hope your still reading to know a lot of people including myself owe you a debt of gratitude for all the help you have given countless people over the years to the point of thinking you are a decent bloke with only the club and fellow members at heart. This forum is my local branch and you are one of its leaders so please don't leave it would be a sad waste of all your efforts and talent over the years to walk away from leaving the forum in a poorer state.

Moderators I don't think you can afford to let Roger leave without trying to find some common ground and sort whatever the issue is that has led to this situation here and encourage Roger if he wishes to return. Also let the forum self regulate its self as it seems of late that censorship is in progress on any topic which is deemed not PC we are not children or cricketers. If people don't like what they read say so or choose not to partake in the conversation it called freedom of speech/choice. If you ignore this you run the risk of having a very narrow member base and no club at all and we all suffer. Bit like technical advice take it or leave it and there is more than one way of doing it.

Mods action please. 

Andy

I am just catching up today and have just read Rogers post (it is still available to mods) and am bemused at it's  removal, a couple of words could be considered as contentious but that's all and easily rectified.     

I sincerely hope Roger will reconsider and understands that most  of us appreciate his input and his humour.

Brian

16 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Also let the forum self regulate its self as it seems of late that censorship is in progress on any topic which is deemed not PC we are not children or cricketers. If people don't like what they read say so or choose not to partake in the conversation it called freedom of speech/choice.

Brian has read the post and found just a couple of words could have been considered contentious. Roger could/should have had the opportunity to amended them or perhaps John could have I guess.

Saying that Moderators during Roger time as one, removed, that’s removed posts, even entire topics, we have standards and moderator set them.

As a member we all have a right to enjoy the forum I don’t accept if you don’t like it don’t look or Partake.

Roger like many others, have made/make contributions to this club, Roger technical posts have helped many it’s clear but if he decides to restrict his input because of the removal non technical post and deprive others of his knowledge that’s his choice. We are not Children perhaps sometimes we need to take somethings on the chin.

It's called informed choice as an adult you have the freedom to make it when confronted with an argument or statement. Standards are those made by other people on your behalf perhaps but it dose not mean you have to agree with them and they should be subject to challenge like it or not or debate and law is a waste of time and nothing evolves or is resolved. Censoring the debate serve no purpose the majority of opinion should serve as the outcome as a democracy otherwise we have dictatorship and we know where that can lead. 

I stand by the decision to give your opinion or say nothing or are we so fearful of opinion?

Andy

Edited by PodOne

sad day Roger. Like others I hope you change your mind, for you have a lot to contribute ( and have ).

This is terrible news!

if you read this thread now you’ll see the strength of feeling that we all want you to stay

i’ve no idea what subject it was that caused you to consider leaving, but you’ve greatly enhanced my knowledge and enjoyment of my TRs over the years and i’d be sorry to lose that

Steve

1 hour ago, Steves_TR6 said:

This is terrible news!

if you read this thread now you’ll see the strength of feeling that we all want you to stay

i’ve no idea what subject it was that caused you to consider leaving, but you’ve greatly enhanced my knowledge and enjoyment of my TRs over the years and i’d be sorry to lose that

Steve

Steve,

See this post in Alec's Inn: 

Cheers, Andrew

Roger, please reconsider as you are a resource for us all. You will be missed considerably in so many ways but I will respect your decision and hopefully we will meet up somewhere again in the very near future.