TR6 Bonnet latch - update

Hi Folks,

in the summer 2020 there was a great deal of concern regarding the TR6 (and TR4/4A/5) bonnet latch.

Today I was asked to have a look at the new Moss offering.

The hook is the same gauge as the OE item.

There is a decent gusset/fillet supporting the hook

It now has a substantial rivet holding the hook in place

The hook has also been straightened up. It had gather a forward lean over the years.

I hope this resolves peoples concerns.

Roger

P1070222a.jpg

Interestingly the last one I bought a couple of years ago had a gusset and was more substantial too, came from TR Shop

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

that is right.  When we looked at it last year there were all sorts of shapes and sizes.

The one from TRF in the USA had a neat crimp in the bottom bend of the hook that worked well.

The then Moss latch was a little weak - that has now been addressed

Roger

Great info, thanks Roger

the replacement latch on my 6 is very poorly made, somthats a job to add to the list :-)

steve

Thanks Roger and the other PQI-team members. 

This example shows that if we, the end-users take the effort to fill in the PQI form if/when we feel parts are not correct, the PQI team will do a thorough investigation, contact suppliers and as a result this can lead to an improvement in the parts quality of which we all benefit.

Regards,
Waldi

Things tend to happen slowly with the PQI issues but thankfully this shows that good end results do happen.

On a sad note I feel that my involvement with the PQI is coming to an end.  Too many bad issues are happening along the way.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Things tend to happen slowly with the PQI issues but thankfully this shows that good end results do happen.

On a sad note I feel that my involvement with the PQI is coming to an end.  Too many bad issues are happening along the way.

Roger

Thats a shame Roger, is that because suppliers arent keen on working with the PQI or is it easier to stop banging your head against a brick wall?

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Thats a shame Roger, is that because suppliers arent keen on working with the PQI or is it easier to stop banging your head against a brick wall?

Stuart.

Far from it Stuart, all the suppliers are fully supportive of the PQI initiatives (witness the latest MOSS changes to the bonnet catch issues), after all its in their interests as well as owners with problems. From what I understand, the "brick wall" applies elsewhere.
Ian

47 minutes ago, cvtrian said:

Far from it Stuart, all the suppliers are fully supportive of the PQI initiatives (witness the latest MOSS changes to the bonnet catch issues), after all its in their interests as well as owners with problems. From what I understand, the "brick wall" applies elsewhere.
Ian

Yes so I see now .

Stuart.

Did you test the quality of the spot welds that hold that welded bracket to the main pressing?

I recall we had issues over 30 years ago with a batch of remade catch assemblies.