Help with gauges please !...

Hi, I've recently started my winter project, replacing the old dash for a nice new the burr walnut, as part of this I've fitted a Smith's clock and sent my original gauges away to be reconditioned. All went well just started to put it all back together and noticed that the fuel and temp gauge are not working !. I took photos of the wiring so I know it's all gone back together properly and know the gauges are connected to the voltage stabiliser on the back of the speedo, can any tell if there are any steps to help me diagnosed the fault ? 

1 minute ago, Kalvinder Dhillon said:

Hi, I've recently started my winter project, replacing the old dash for a nice new the burr walnut, as part of this I've fitted a Smith's clock and sent my original gauges away to be reconditioned. All went well just started to put it all back together and noticed that the fuel and temp gauge are not working !. I took photos of the wiring so I know it's all gone back together properly and know the gauges are connected to the voltage stabiliser on the back of the speedo, can any tell if there are any steps to help me diagnosed the fault ? 

If its both fuel and temperature gauge then its more than likely a fault in the voltage stabiliser circuit, do you have power in to it (12v) and power out (10v)

Stuart.

9 minutes ago, Kalvinder Dhillon said:

HiKalvinder,

welcome to the forum.

As Stuart states check the 12V in and 10V out on the stabiliser.  If you need to replace it use the later solid state version  Stabiliser

Roger

Could be indicative of a missing earth, there should be a black fly lead with a ring terminal that goes on one of the speedo fixing studs. You will need a meter or at the very least a bulb with two wires to check voltage, with a bulb its should be bright with 12 volts and not very with 10v.

Stuart.

The stabiliser may well get warm but not hot.

Have you got a Multimeter for testing voltages etc

If so place the black(common) lead on the car body (earth) and place the red lead on the  (Green) input wire.  This should show the battery volts >12v

The place the red lead on the output - this should read 10v

Roger

Edited by RogerH
2 hours ago, RogerH said:

The place the red lead on the output - this should read 10v

Depends on the meter. If it is digital and the stabiliser is the bi-metallic type you might just see a blur of numbers as the output switches frequently between zero and 12v. Really you need a moving-coil analogue meter to make any sense of it as the inertia of the needle will integrate the waveform and give an 'average' reading.

The heating coil of the bimetallic type needs an earth - without it the output will be stuck at 12V because the switch will never open.  The regulator chip in a semiconductor type needs an earth - without it there will be 0v out because the regulator has no control current.   Neither type will work without an earth.

21 minutes ago, RobH said:

The heating coil of the bimetallic type needs an earth - without it the output will be stuck at 12V because the switch will never open.  The regulator chip in a semiconductor type needs an earth - without it there will be 0v out because the regulator has no control current.   Neither type will work without an earth.

Which was what I said earlier,did he have the earth link that loops across all the gauges fitted?

Stuart.

6 minutes ago, stillp said:

What car is it? The voltage stabiliser on the TR4A is earthed by it's fixing screw in the driver's footwell.

Pete

Judging by the voltage stabiliser being bolted to the back of the speedo it would be a 5 or a 6.

Stuart.

Call me Mr picky, but if the gauges are the type which need a voltage stabiliser, the gauges themselves do not need earthing other than to make any internal panel lights work.

Bob

13 hours ago, Lebro said:

Call me Mr picky, but if the gauges are the type which need a voltage stabiliser, the gauges themselves do not need earthing other than to make any internal panel lights work.

Bob

True but with the voltage stabiliser needing an earth and it being bolted to the back of the speedo then ergo its going to need an earth to the instrument as well as for the illumination bulbs.

Stuart.

25 minutes ago, Kalvinder Dhillon said:

Hi guys, thanks for all your help especially Stuart, I tested the voltage stabiliser on the back of the speedo and it's showing no volts on the output end !. So new solid state one on order, thanks again everyone ;)

The oe voltage stabiliser works but turning its output on and off to achieve an average voltage over time of 10v, so it’s possible that it is working correctly ….

however a new solid state version will actually give 10v all of the time :-)

steve