Bear with this is a long story......

Way back in the early 1990's I visited a trader called Stuart Jenkins at his premises on the Stonebroom Industrial Estate near Derby to buy some bits, and bobs for one of my TR5's. Whilst we stood chewing the cud I happened to notice a TR sitting forlornly out in the long grass. It turned out to be a TR5 Stuart had bought as a breaker. All the outer panels had been removed along with the engine. A deal was done for not a lot of money, and a couple of days later a chap I knew went and collected it for me who jackknifed his Fiat Uno (yes really) and trailer combination on the motorway, and ended up in an adjacent field. Fortunately the TR5 didn't get damaged, and a friendly copper towed the trailer to the next services!

A couple of weeks later I rang Stewart, and did a deal on the missing engine, and ancillaries which I duly collected in a borrowed camping trailer, those were the days.

The only documentation I got with the car was a receipt from Stuart with the chassis number on it (the commission, and body plates were still on the car), he didn't have a V5 for it, and there were no registration plates on the car.

Scroll forward a few years, and I did a sufficient work to it to gain a MOT based on the chassis number. I suppose at that stage I could have applied for a age related plate (or it might have been a Q plate back then), but I decided to go down the route of trying to find its original registration. I did all the usual things, BMH Trace, contacted Roger Ferris at the club (or it might have been his predecessor then). The Heritage trace came back showing the car had originally been supplied to Macharg Rennie & Lindsay in Glasgow so I wrote to the Glasgow Library who wrote back to confirm that the registration records for that period had been destroyed long before.

So there you have it, and although I regularly correspond with Roger, and chase any leads that might present themselves, nothing has come of it so far.

Do you remember this car, did you sell Stuart a rough TR5 in the late 80's, early 90's? It was originally Jasmine, but it had been painted Silver later in its life, and based on some of the things still bolted to it may have been raced at some time. The chassis number is CP1547,.

Over to you.

Picture is a very young me cutting the rusty bits off 'Jasmine' before shot blasting

resto.jpg

On 11/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, multipletriumphsinner said:

Bear with this is a long story......

Way back in the early 1990's I visited a trader called Stuart Jenkins at his premises on the Stonebroom Industrial Estate near Derby to buy some bits, and bobs for one of my TR5's. Whilst we stood chewing the cud I happened to notice a TR sitting forlornly out in the long grass. It turned out to be a TR5 Stuart had bought as a breaker. All the outer panels had been removed along with the engine. A deal was done for not a lot of money, and a couple of days later a chap I knew went and collected it for me who jackknifed his Fiat Uno (yes really) and trailer combination on the motorway, and ended up in an adjacent field. Fortunately the TR5 didn't get damaged, and a friendly copper towed the trailer to the next services!

A couple of weeks later I rang Stewart, and did a deal on the missing engine, and ancillaries which I duly collected in a borrowed camping trailer, those were the days.

The only documentation I got with the car was a receipt from Stuart with the chassis number on it (the commission, and body plates were still on the car), he didn't have a V5 for it, and there were no registration plates on the car.

Scroll forward a few years, and I did a sufficient work to it to gain a MOT based on the chassis number. I suppose at that stage I could have applied for a age related plate (or it might have been a Q plate back then), but I decided to go down the route of trying to find its original registration. I did all the usual things, BMH Trace, contacted Roger Ferris at the club (or it might have been his predecessor then). The Heritage trace came back showing the car had originally been supplied to Macharg Rennie & Lindsay in Glasgow so I wrote to the Glasgow Library who wrote back to confirm that the registration records for that period had been destroyed long before.

So there you have it, and although I regularly correspond with Roger, and chase any leads that might present themselves, nothing has come of it so far.

Do you remember this car, did you sell Stuart a rough TR5 in the late 80's, early 90's? It was originally Jasmine, but it had been painted Silver later in its life, and based on some of the things still bolted to it may have been raced at some time. The chassis number is CP1547,.

Over to you.

Picture is a very young me cutting the rusty bits off 'Jasmine' before shot blasting

resto.jpg

Great story, & I read all of it.  Whilst I cannot assist in this regard, myself and father went to this exact facility back in circa 1995, to buy a Frogeye Sprite, that was a very rotten barn find, from Stuart Jenkins.  We walked away, but some months later contacted him and struck a deal. I do recall a Triumph TR2 parked outside. Apologies for the thread drift, but it was good to reminisce. I am sure in the late 90's they had moved to Pinxton, as recall dropping by when I had my driving licence. I cannot recall what they called themselves. It could have been circa 1998.

Maybe a long shot, and it is probably a coincidence, but I believe Mike Hazelwood has a silver TR5, and he is an ex TR Register race champion. I don't think he frequents the forum very often, but plenty of people know him.
Good luck
Ian

• 2 months later...

Hi

Mike Hazlewood’s Silver TR5 is one of the LHP registered cars, so this isn’t it.

regards

Tony 

• 1 year later...

Have you HPI’d the VIN?

In 1991 I bought an OSSA MAR.

3yrs back I got a local main dealer to run an HPI check on the frame number and it came back with the reg.

Dealer  HPI’s run on frame numbers for bikes, so it’s likely the same for cars. Maybe worth a try.

The dealer charged me £15