A Sobering Thought

Hi all,

chatting to a Tr owner who has just returned with his camper from a trip, to the very high Highlands,

guess what he paid for Petrol near the top?

£1.83 Litre, thats well over £8.20 a Gallon, - Ouch!

I can remember when petrol was less than 5s a gallon, that would be around 5p a litre.

John.

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I can remember when petrol was less than 5s a gallon, that would be around 5p a litre.

Ahh that would be the early 1960s. When a man's wages were about £15 a week (or about half that for a women).

Still, petrol is one of the few things that is more expensive today, inflation-adjusted, than back then. Housing is the other really big thing - an average house was £33,000 in the early 60s. 

Nigel

7 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

Ahh that would be the early 1960s. When a man's wages were about £15 a week (or about half that for a women).

Still, petrol is one of the few things that is more expensive today, inflation-adjusted, than back then. Housing is the other really big thing - an average house was £33,000 in the early 60s. 

Nigel

Wow - where did you live

My semi cost £13,500 in 1976 4 miles north of Heathrow airport. In the mid 60's it was nearer £4000

Roger

4 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Wow - where did you live

My semi cost £13,500 in 1976 4 miles north of Heathrow airport. In the mid 60's it was nearer £4000

Sorry, I meant £33,000 inflation-adjusted (approx £2,500 in 1960s money). But anyway, versus about £250,000 average for a house today.

Nigel

14 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Shilling, or Miss Shilling (as we called her) was a female engineer during WW2 and is famed for coming up with a device to allow Spitfires

to fly inverted etc   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling's_orifice

Rooger 

Ok Rooger , where’s Roger and what have you done to him . 

3 hours ago, Tony_C said:

Miss Shillings orifice must surely be worth more than a Bob?……

Don’t bring Bob into this!

Here is Miss Shilling with my good friend and neighbour Tony Nash at Farnborough designing a new Bobsleigh for their next attempt at the Winter Olympics, having won Gold in 1964.

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

I read recently that 25% of all car journeys in the UK are less than 1 mile,

I sometimes wonder where statistics like this come from.  Is it real and if so how was it measured?  Has anyone on here ever been asked? 

If it is real, can it be the result of edge-of-town shopping malls where sometimes the only sensible way to reach them is by car, and the trend to weekly shopping trips means hand-carrying large amounts home is not feasible?  In many places the in-town food shops are small so stock only the essentials and the supermarkets are on the periphery, sometimes on the wrong side of dual-carriageways. 

Half a crown a  gallon in ca 1966. That's 12p roughly.  Then came the '70s inflation and Sheik Yamani.

Not long now before petrol will be sold in tins. eg Pratt's.  What goes around comes around.

16 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Not long now before petrol will be sold in tins. eg Pratt's

I hope they do consider using a different name though. :blink:

Rob, I found this data from the National Travel Survey. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/nts03-modal-comparisons. These data are from NTS0307:

image.thumb.png.d55ae5f79c4bc3bbc993ebcb44533c81.png
These data give credence to the assertion that EV do not need long range. It is worse than I thought, with 25% less than one mile, 68% less than 5 miles. Only 1% of journeys are over 100miles. For that 1%, rapid charging facilities are essential. However, for 99%, charging can either be low rate at everywhere the car is parked for hours at a time (home or work) or get a rapid charge once per week.

Mick

Yes but as I said Mick - who gave them those numbers?   How much reliance can you put on this type of  survey?  If someone asked me how many trips I made in a year and what length they were, I would have only a vague idea -  I don't keep records and I doubt many others do either so at best this is probably largely based on guesses.    

From their website: 

National Travel Survey data collection consists of a face-to-face interview and a 7 day self-completed written travel diary, allowing travel patterns to be linked with individual characteristics. The survey covers travel by people in all age groups, including children. Approximately 16,000 individuals in 7,000 households in England, participate in the survey each year.

Sounds a bit more work than a guess, I guess.

Mick

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Rob, I found this data from the National Travel Survey. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/nts03-modal-comparisons. These data are from NTS0307:

image.thumb.png.d55ae5f79c4bc3bbc993ebcb44533c81.png
These data give credence to the assertion that EV do not need long range. It is worse than I thought, with 25% less than one mile, 68% less than 5 miles. Only 1% of journeys are over 100miles. For that 1%, rapid charging facilities are essential. However, for 99%, charging can either be low rate at everywhere the car is parked for hours at a time (home or work) or get a rapid charge once per week.

Mick

In conjunction with EV, 2020 was a year sTRuck by Coronavirus and it’s resultant lockdowns. I would think that played a significant part in the slide in 2020 figures.

Kevin