Feel a bit daft asking this but for a 1969 UK PI TR6 what was fitted 165/? 15.

Thanks 

Andy

36 minutes ago, Ragtag said:

Sorry, I don't have an edit button, it seems.

What I mean is that the original tyres were about 80 section but from memory, the 80 wasn't specified because tyres were tyres so it would have been 165/15.  New fangled low profile tyres came in at 70 section.

By the way, after an absence of 3+years, it's reassuring to know that tyres are still being discussed:lol:

9 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Sorry, I don't have an edit button, it seems.

What I mean is that the original tyres were about 80 section but from memory, the 80 wasn't specified because tyres were tyres so it would have been 165/15.  New fangled low profile tyres came in at 70 section.

By the way, after an absence of 3+years, it's reassuring to know that tyres are still being discussed:lol:

Hi - I think you will find you do have an "edit" button - you need to click on the three dots in the right hand corner of each post ( easily missed and no clue so not surprisingly, not obvious!) - the edit option only appears if it's your post - you cant edit other peoples!

cheers Rich

11 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Welcome back BTW

Stuart.

4 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Hi - I think you will find you do have an "edit" button - you need to click on the three dots in the right hand corner of each post ( easily missed and no clue so not surprisingly, not obvious!) - the edit option only appears if it's your post - you cant edit other peoples!

cheers Rich

Ah, thanks Rich, good to know.

• 3 months later...

I am interested in a set Nankang 185-80-15 Retro Classic tyres, some sites show a black side wall, others a white wall. Are there 2 options or? See link below for a white wall-type:

https://www.oponeo.nl/band/retro-classic-001-185-80-r15-93-h?origin=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuMuRBhCJARIsAHXdnqNWI2ssdd-hzAKi5jinNzDfHjYt3n4O8oXstIyFvjGMpt5KwF1MFjQaAgzXEALw_wcB

If only in white-wall, can you install that on the inside?

Waldi

36 minutes ago, Waldi said:

I am interested in a set Nankang 185-80-15 Retro Classic tyres, some sites show a black side wall, others a white wall. Are there 2 options or? See link below for a white wall-type:

https://www.oponeo.nl/band/retro-classic-001-185-80-r15-93-h?origin=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuMuRBhCJARIsAHXdnqNWI2ssdd-hzAKi5jinNzDfHjYt3n4O8oXstIyFvjGMpt5KwF1MFjQaAgzXEALw_wcB

If only in white-wall, can you install that on the inside?

Waldi

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Retro/Classic-001/185-R15-93T/R-336577

These are shown without. They are handed tyres, so you can't run the white wall on the inside. 

Gareth

Thanks Gareth,

Interestingly, they are shown on the same alloy wheel. I will ask the supplier.

Cheers,

Waldi

Edit: I called the supplier (Oponeo.nl), and they only sell white wall-style. Interestingly they are not sold as Nankang tyres but just “Retro Classic”.

Edited by Waldi
1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Thanks Gareth,

Interestingly, they are shown on the same alloy wheel. I will ask the supplier.

Cheers,

Waldi

Edit: I called the supplier (Oponeo.nl), and they only sell white wall-style. Interestingly they are not sold as Nankang tyres but just “Retro Classic”.

I believe the original name was Nankang but that was dropped later. I think thin band white walls would look pretty 'American' but it depends what look you're after? 

ad16_1_1_.jpg

I like the all-black tyres more.
Michelin XAS 165/80-15  “only” cost  100 euro more (per corner), so that remains an option too. Choices choices. 

Waldi

53 minutes ago, Waldi said:

I like the all-black tyres more.
Michelin XAS 165/80-15  “only” cost  100 euro more (per corner), so that remains an option too. Choices choices. 

Waldi

Are you putting these on a PI or carb car with its original spec diff? 

Gareth

Hi Gareth, my car is a PI with OD and 3.45 diff. It could do with a lower ratio (like 3.1) diff, maybe in the future.

Good that you mention it, currently I run 185/80-15 Vreds, so with 165/80-15 the revs will go further up.

Edit: The difference in tyre circumference between an 185/80 -15 and a 165/80-15 tyre is around 5% (found a calculator on the WWW), so revs will go up by 100-150 rpm with normal driving at 2-3000 rpm. 

Thanks,
Waldi

Edited by Waldi

I bit the bullet and ordered a set of MICHELIN 185-80 x 15 93H XVS-P.

They are cheaper here than in the UK I noticed (209 euro each).

Thanks for your suggestions Gareth, especially the hint about the difference in RPM’s. That made me decide for the wider (and higher) 185 tyres.

Thanks,
Waldi

45 minutes ago, Waldi said:

I bit the bullet and ordered a set of MICHELIN 185-80 x 15 93H XVS-P.

They are cheaper here than in the UK I noticed (209 euro each).

Thanks for your suggestions Gareth, especially the hint about the difference in RPM’s. That made me decide for the wider (and higher) 185 tyres.

Thanks,
Waldi

That's great! Be sure to post a pic when your new boots are fitted.

Gareth

Will do Gareth, but it will be in a couple of weeks; the new steel wheels which I also ordered will be delivered in 2-3 weeks.
Waldi