Exhausted

Appreciating this has been discussed many times !  but looking to replace the exhaust on my 6, the rear pipes and cross box are steel and now looking a bit sad.

I intend to use SS and the traditional set up as existing, cross box twin pipes exit left.

Question is why would you use a one pipe system into the box as opposed to 2 pipes?

Phoenix appear to do both.

Ins 10(1).jpg

A79B4431-061A-40B5-84AA-243CB5408004.thumb.jpeg.35071ccdee446f2cdeffc354cddaf5d2.jpegPut a big bore on and hear that sound

10 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

Appreciating this has been discussed many times !  but looking to replace the exhaust on my 6, the rear pipes and cross box are steel and now looking a bit sad.

I intend to use SS and the traditional set up as existing, cross box twin pipes exit left.

Question is why would you use a one pipe system into the box as opposed to 2 pipes?

Ins 10(1).jpg

The single center pipe is the bigger bore version, if you just want to change to stainless then go for the twin center pipe version. 

Gareth

13 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

Ins 10(1).jpg

The tuning Guru's of the past seem to favor the large bore single pipe system with one silencer out the back but that design does seem to cover the rear end with muck. Or they did promote the wheel barrow design with 2 pipes and 2 boxes out the rear end. To find out which system gives the most power it would have to be dyno tested? Somebody on this Forum may have done that? I have the standard system but in s/s with an SAH extractor manifold. It gives a good sound and is over 30 years old.

Bruce. 

Hi Phil,

The general view is that the standard system of cross box, and twin pipes into it the box, is good for a standard engine and standard exhaust manifold. Standard steel or stainless steel give the same performance but the latter lasts longer (and is more shiny!).

As Gareth said, the single system is a different (larger) bore than the twin system.

Changing the exhaust to a larger bore without changing the manifold and engine performance (cam, pistons, ignition, tuning) will not give you any performance benefit. Conversely, the impact of improving the engine and manifold will be much reduced if you keep the standard exhaust. The list of things to do to the engine for noticeably increased performance is expensively long!

I know that in the USA custom exhausts are much more common and much less expensive, and so people often choose an exhaust based on looks alone.

Paul