5 speed gearbox mounting

I was trying to figure out how the rear gearbox mounting TKC1044 was attached to the gearbox, when I realised it wasn't, so referring to the parts book:

The bolt BH112181 was not fitted and neither were all the plates and spacers, leaving the gearbox casting supported directly by the cross member but not tied down in any way. I found the bolt on top of the cross member (or a bolt of about the right size, anyway).

So, how important are the plates UKC2209 and UKC1743, and being NOS, can I replace with flat steel?

What are the rough dimensions of the spacer UKC1744?

Does one drill & wire in the retaining bolt to hold it in place?

What is the purpose of UKC5670 and where does it go - missing as well.

There is whole lot of stuff on the web about the mounting itself and it's propensity to turn to jelly, even something on making a drip tray to protect the rubber from oil, but not much on how to fit it when half the components are missing. Clearly if anyone has some s/h bits, let me know.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

The shaped plate UKC2209 helps stop the rubber bush move around too much so worth having and all of the parts should be readily available from someone like Robsport second hand at reasonable cost.

The round spacer is about an inch tall from memory.

I've never had any problem with the bolt and falling out or working loose as it bolts all the way through and up into the underside of the back of the gearbox - but a wire for security will never be a bad thing.

hope this helps

Ian

Spacer UKC1744 measures 25mm x 40mm dia.

The two plates UKC1743&2209 fit either side of the rubber mounting and my understanding is to act as safety `clam-shells` in the event of a heavy impact/roll-over/rubber deterioration to keep the gearbox attached to the car!  Note they are `dimpled` and this creates two `pips` on the other face to locate in the alloy mount that has two small holes on both faces to match!-so it`s all very snug when bolted up. I also had concerns about the vertical bolt getting loose and made my own locking tab washer/plate-cross driling and wiring also would work. (but I`d never found the bolt to be loose beforehand anyway.)

UKC 5670 tie-rod was I believe a North American market fitment to restrict forward movement of the engine&transmission to meet their regs.

Hope this helps -H

Edited by Howard Frazer

Hi Jerry,

If you’re buying a new rubber gearbox mount, it’s possible that you might end up with a poor rock hard pattern part that transmits all the gearbox noise to the cabin.  It happened to me about 6 years ago, even though I bought three from different suppliers.  If you can’t get assurance that its not one of these, I wouldn’t buy it.  One of the suppliers was adamant the fault lay with my gearbox, even though it occurred immediately after fitting the new mount.

I adapted a Volvo mount that completely solved the problem with minimal work.  Five years, several thousand miles with a V8 (it’s a common part) and all’s good.  I followed a thread I’d found on the Dolomite Sprint forum.

http://tr7triumph.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23518&p=239746&hilit=Volvo#p239746

Adam

Hi Jerry

I went down the same route as Bushey Trader and fitted a Volvo mount after reading about poor quality replacements.

I used a Febi Bilstein mount part number 22394

Lee

Thanks for all the replies, great stuff here. I must have missed the Dolly club posting somehow. I'll order the Volvo part & make up the rest as I go.

Cheers,

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Apologies for not updating this, a small issue of elderly mothers falling over followed by an operation for me.

Thanks Steve for the info and offer of parts.

The original mount appears to be almost identical to the Volvo version, so I progressed with that. Needed to file out the mounting holes in the crossmember and weld up a spacer using thick-walled tube and a couple of reclaimed wheel bearing washers. Needed a longer bolt which I didn't have, so used a bit of stud. I'll get a bolt next time I'm ordering stuff.

Apart from the Febi mount, you will need a spacer 28mm tall and a bolt M12x1.75 x 90.1024536267_Gearboxmount_4.thumb.jpg.3fb6391833e9ffb0ab545ef08f9f0e0e.jpg646561044_Gearboxmount_3.thumb.jpg.7ce250b3334eaf414225c2910b21a418.jpg1409046113_Gearboxmount_1.thumb.jpg.c6f3055648778d6ceecba03291383b79.jpg

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse my ignorance but am I right in assuming when you have fittedthe gearbox mount the dished plate at the bottom where the bolt head sits would this finish up at 90 degrees to the original one ie running the length of the car and not positioned across the width of the car as original

Hi Propshaft,

Hopefully this photo answers your question.  IIRC the thick washer / spacer is between the rubber mount and the gearbox above it.  It’s been a few years and several thousand miles since I fitted the Volvo mount in preference to the poor aftermarket item.  I was working on the remote housing above and took this photo. The propshaft is a shortened V8 SD1 item.  (Edited to include it’s a SD1 prop)

1B08B51F-6A5C-4231-B1D7-857E69426ACA.jpeg

Edited by BusheyTrader
Added text

Thanks for your help I finished up turning an aluminium one to fit the recesses in the mount probably a bit over the top but works and looks good 

• 3 months later...