TR4 Fitting New Shock Absorbers - Help please!

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

There should be a shoulder on the pin of the shocker. Tighten the nut until the shaped washer is up to the shoulder and everything should be fine.

Ralph

+1

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

There should be a shoulder on the pin of the shocker. Tighten the nut until the shaped washer is up to the shoulder and everything should be fine.

Ralph

As long as

1. The shoulder on the pin is the correct height (remember these are aftermarket items) 

2. The new PU bushes and top washer are the correct thickness to allow you to tighten down to the shoulder. If either of them arent correct then all bets are off.

Stuart.

Yet another question:).

Is it normal for the brake pipe to the front caliper on the drivers side (RHD) to obstruct the removal of the lower wishbone (when replacing bushes)?

I have removed the brake pipe already but it looks too short to me and I wonder if it is the right length and correctly routed. I will replace it with a new pipe anyway (one that is slightly longer) but would like to correct the routing if it is wrong.

Thanks

Robert

5 minutes ago, rjs993 said:

Yet another question:).

Is it normal for the brake pipe to the front caliper on the drivers side (RHD) to obstruct the removal of the lower wishbone (when replacing bushes)?

I have removed the brake pipe already but it looks too short to me and I wonder if it is the right length and correctly routed. I will replace it with a new pipe anyway (one that is slightly longer) but would like to correct the routing if it is wrong.

Thanks

Robert

No it shouldnt be anywhere near it.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone point me at a picture of the TR4 drivers side (RHD) brake pipe shape/route? This is the pipe that sits between the junction (on the chassis) and the flexible pipe connection at the hub? Can't see anything helpful in the manual(s).

Length would also be helpful.

Thanks

Edited by rjs993
Add info
32 minutes ago, rjs993 said:

Hi,

Q: How do you spline the inside of the lock washer on either side of the trunnion (TR4)?

The hole is smooth when supplied.

Thanks

Robert

You dont, you tighten them up onto the splines on the trunnion shaft which cuts them into the washer then back the nut off as stated in the manual.

Stuart.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:22 PM, rjs993 said:

Can anyone point me at a picture of the TR4 drivers side (RHD) brake pipe shape/route? This is the pipe that sits between the junction (on the chassis) and the flexible pipe connection at the hub? Can't see anything helpful in the manual(s).

Length would also be helpful.

Thanks

Not a really helpful picture as its a TR3 but basically the same, from the 4way it follows up under the turret support then out, dont have a measurement Im afraid

Stuart.

IMG_2724 - Copy.JPG

Just make sure they are not too hard as I was inexperienced and tried to force one on and it buggered up the thread.

just don’t force it. 

3C48D1DD-E619-446E-B8AC-A0543EC69AA9.jpeg

B4E38918-9649-4780-821D-F63BA74DADEE.jpeg

On my TR4, I use Revington's RTR4041 braided hoses for both front & rear.  The site says these fit TR3 also..

I'll have a look tomorrow & measure as I have a pair on the shelf in the garage.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Stuart. Really helpful on both counts.

Thanks Hamish. I will be sure to be gentle:)

Thanks IanC. It is actually the length of the copper pipe that I am looking for as I need to get one made i.e. the pipe that sits between the junction (on the chassis) and joins the flexible pipe connection at the hub?

Robert

Sorry - cannot help with length of the copper pipe as 4VC's pipework is decidedly non-standard in order to ensure that neither brake nor fuel lines could get ripped off when negotiating rally routes of the 1960s.  The lines run inside the cockpit, not underneath the car.

Ian Cornish

13 hours ago, rjs993 said:

Thanks Stuart. Really helpful on both counts.

Thanks Hamish. I will be sure to be gentle:)

Thanks IanC. It is actually the length of the copper pipe that I am looking for as I need to get one made i.e. the pipe that sits between the junction (on the chassis) and joins the flexible pipe connection at the hub?

Robert

If you talk to Automec they make pipe sets and are pretty helpful so they will probably be able to tell you the length. https://automec.co.uk/

Stuart.

• 7 months later...

Hi. As mentioned above I have fitted PU bushes to the front suspension on my TR4 and fitted new shockers. On reassembly the position of the the steering wheel has changed (i.e. the spokes are in a different position). This suggests that the steering  alignment may have moved but I cannot thin of any reason why this would be.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback/help over the months/years. This forum is a huge asset.

Robert  

On 1/6/2022 at 12:47 PM, rjs993 said:

Hi,

Q: How do you spline the inside of the lock washer on either side of the trunnion (TR4)?

The hole is smooth when supplied.

Thanks

Robert

Or reuse the old ones to avoid the possibility of thread damage that Hamish suffered.