Hardtop wanted

I have a fibre glass hard top here in France free to a good home, but it needs collecting. ..............clem

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 7:41 AM, elclem1 said:

I have a fibre glass hard top here in France free to a good home, but it needs collecting. ..............clem

Where abouts are you ?

Hi David.

I went to look at that one last week, paint was great nice and solid. Unfortunately the headlining and rubber seals needed renewing. Chrome bits missing and no fixings. Basically it needed renovation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 9:17 PM, marki said:

Hi David.

I went to look at that one last week, paint was great nice and solid. Unfortunately the headlining and rubber seals needed renewing. Chrome bits missing and no fixings. Basically it needed renovation.

I don’t see this as an issue if the price is right.  It’s all available but dies add up. 

im currently restoring one which I bought only because it was absolutely rot free. 

I’ve seen others that look lovely and complete etc that under close inspection are full of plop. 

On 12/9/2021 at 9:17 PM, marki said:

Hi David.

I think that you will find most do need reworking? It is very difficult  not to do any damage to them when storing. You need a cradle as well to keep it safe and free from damage???

Bruce.

Parts for hard top restoration are relatively expensive. I bought a decent hard top, it “only” required a new head lining and the rubbers. The cost of these items however was more than what I paid for the hard top…. and I also want to have it painted…..

I was not able to find a good and complete one requiring no work, so went this route. Costs once completed will be around 1000 pounds.(1200 euros).

My son and I did a trial fit yesterday, it took us 5 hrs, largely because we had never fitted one before.

Comments on the fit are welcomed.

Waldi

3CDEFB7C-D258-4E01-A7F1-0F3D3FB29A20.jpeg

10 hours ago, Waldi said:

Parts for hard top restoration are relatively expensive. I bought a decent hard top, it “only” required a new head lining and the rubbers. The cost of these items however was more than what I paid for the hard top…. and I also want to have it painted…..

I was not able to find a good and complete one requiring no work, so went this route. Costs once completed will be around 1000 pounds.(1200 euros).

My son and I did a trial fit yesterday, it took us 5 hrs, largely because we had never fitted one before.

Comments on the fit are welcomed.

Waldi

3CDEFB7C-D258-4E01-A7F1-0F3D3FB29A20.jpeg

Similar to mine. I'm leaving the hardtop white, I like it.

1C2D20FB-E897-471A-B7EA-F99AB537C206.JPG

When I did my own spec refurbishment of my 3a hard top I wired in a high level brake light  and a couple of courtesy lights over the door openings. 

with a single male / female plug  at the rear off side for simple disconnection. 

It’s a darn sight cheaper than an Etype hard top which has cost me 5k and at least a TR6 hard top completely changed the cars drive.  The Etype one is no different structurally to having the soft top up. 

Hi marki.

I am not wealthy, but I have always liked all sports cars with hardtops of fixed roofs.

I thought I was extremely lucky about 4 years ago to find an NOS hardtop and although I don’t know the exact total cost, it cost me between £2200 £2400 finished so not cheap.

Mick.

Hardtop-1.thumb.JPG.4b2f455609dd7215e93fae197bb2bc9a.JPGHardtop-2.thumb.JPG.99f6365adfd9ae1f6beb20da97199017.JPG

Edited by mhossack
Missing word

Peter, I guess I was lucky in that my hardtop came in primer from Moss Darlington complete with glass and all fittings for £75. I was quite surprised at the time as I was only expecting the primed shell but didn't complain!

cheers

Derek

Hardtop invoice.jpg