TR6 replacement fuel tank fitting - drain plug!

Hi All,

I decided to replace the existing original fuel tank, since it seemed to be getting a bit thin in places!

I opted for a replacement in mild steel, on the basis that that had lasted 45 years.. and if I get anywhere near that again it would do me..!
Having bought it and had it delivered, I removed the old one, and have just found out that the new one (from a major supplier) has two additional connections… One on the top appears to be a redundant connection..but the other seems to be a ‘drain’ connection… which my late model CR series does not have!
Since my car never had this originally, there is no corresponding ‘hole’ in the body for this to drop through.. and it therefore sits too high because of the ‘clash’ with the body.. Very frustrating, especially since I asked about this before ordering the tank!

Has anyone come across this before.. and if so do they have any suggestions..? 

thanks in advance..

Richard

Hello Richard.

I’ve just replaced my fuel tank with a Revington ally one.  This one had two redundant outlets on the bottom which Revington supplied suitable blanking screws for.  These screws do cause some interference with the body but I was able to grind the heads down by a mm or two.  That was all it took for my tank to fit.

Good luck with it and make sure your sender unit works before buttoning it all up !

Cheers

dave