Best windscreen source?

Hi folks 

Just cleaning up the windscreen that came with the car which I was hoping to reuse. Unfortunately its begun to delaminate and has a bad scratch so I've decided its time to replace it. Looking at the usual suspects the price's are as low as £100 or from Pilkington £360 without delivery from any.

Can anyone advise if the cheaper screens are a good fit and who would you recommend?

Thanks

Andy 

Hi Keith

Know of Roger even visited his premisses many years ago before he retired and before I had a 6 but have no contact details for him.

Andy

I fitted one of the expensive Pilkington ones from Moss to my GT6, I used a seal from RevingtonTR, both went in fine with no fuss, this was the first time I have fitted a windscreen too.

Ian

Ive fitted the expensive ones but always used the Moss rubber as its the best of the lot, the Rimmer rubber is a very poor fit.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Ive fitted the expensive ones but always used the Moss rubber as its the best of the lot, the Rimmer rubber is a very poor fit.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

Typical and before I knew any better I ordered a Rimmer"s offering a few years ago. I'll bin it and order a Moss one.

Andy

I've just had a Pilkington screen fitted today, both screen and seal from Moss. After playing with it a bit myself I got it fitted by an old school windscreen fitter who is used to fitting the classic type screens. It went in eventually, but he and his mate really struggled, the seal seemed about 1/4 inch too long, and was a fairly loose fit on the screen.

Mike.

I fitted one of the cheaper screens a couple of years ago. I’ve fitted plenty in the past to various vehicles of a similar vintage by roping in with paracord. I had to reuse the original rubber (which was fine) as the one supplied with the screen was far too long to stretch comfortably around the glass and stay in place. All was fine except the lower right and left corners.  The compound nature of the curve in this area just wasn’t quite right and the glass is very slightly proud of the frame contour. Nothing that a decent quantity of screen sealant couldn’t cope with and doesn’t leak but I think if I was doing it again I’d go for the better quality. Lesson learned as usual. 

13 hours ago, michaelfinnis said:

I've just had a Pilkington screen fitted today, both screen and seal from Moss. After playing with it a bit myself I got it fitted by an old school windscreen fitter who is used to fitting the classic type screens. It went in eventually, but he and his mate really struggled, the seal seemed about 1/4 inch too long, and was a fairly loose fit on the screen.

Mike.

There is a reason for the slightly larger seal as it then goes into the corners better, a tight rubber you will find leads to a gap opening up after a while down in the lower sides and corners. Same reason that the rear Surrey glass seal is bigger else it pulls up out of the corners. The new rubbers can be a struggle anyway as the "Shore" of the rubber isnt the same as original mostly due to the fact its made of more synthetic materials these days. On the other hand try fitting window rubbers in an Italia.....................:wacko:

Stuart

3 hours ago, stuart said:

There is a reason for the slightly larger seal as it then goes into the corners better, a tight rubber you will find leads to a gap opening up after a while down in the lower sides and corners. Same reason that the rear Surrey glass seal is bigger else it pulls up out of the corners. The new rubbers can be a struggle anyway as the "Shore" of the rubber isnt the same as original mostly due to the fact its made of more synthetic materials these days. On the other hand try fitting window rubbers in an Italia.....................:wacko:

Stuart

Stuart! Is the shore hardness harder or softer than the original rubber of years ago?

Bruce.

11 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Stuart! Is the shore hardness harder or softer than the original rubber of years ago?

Bruce.

TR ones are a little harder, Italia ones arent.

Stuart.

You can still buy a Triplex windscreen, which was original fitment from Triumph. According to Triplex they are still made on the original tooling so fit, unlike some cheap repro screens. I fitted a Triplex one 4 years ago but used a seal from Rimmers, bad idea. I then bought one from Moss. Don't buy cheap and regret it for years.

Mick

4 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

You can still buy a Triplex windscreen, which was original fitment from Triumph. According to Triplex they are still made on the original tooling so fit, unlike some cheap repro screens. I fitted a Triplex one 4 years ago but used a seal from Rimmers, bad idea. I then bought one from Moss. Don't buy cheap and regret it for years.

Mick

Hi Mick

Moss stock a Triplex which I've ordered today plus the seal kit so fingers crossed it goes in reasonably well when the time comes.

Thanks all for the advice.

Andy