Stuck Cylinder Head

I have had success getting stuck things moving in the past by using a hammer action drill with a drift in the chuck to vibrate the offending part,  I would not suggest using it on the head for fear of cracking it, but maybe against the stud after lots of penetrating fluid will help

George 

On 11/16/2021 at 10:20 AM, Ian Vincent said:

I’m a great believing heat for freeing up stuck components.  If you can apply heat (blow torch) to the stud (with care) without heating the head , it should cause the stud to move within the head. That should help to free the head.  You’ll probably have to replace the stud afterwards, but you’ll probably do that anyway. 

9 hours ago, PXC said:
On 11/16/2021 at 10:20 AM, Ian Vincent said:

I’m a great believing heat for freeing up stuck components.  If you can apply heat (blow torch) to the stud (with care) without heating the head , it should cause the stud to move within the head. That should help to free the head.  You’ll probably have to replace the stud afterwards, but you’ll probably do that anyway. 

Expand  

I may have said that in the past but that’s not what I posted at 10:20 on 16th Nov 2021. Very strange. 

Rgds Ian

Now you have got that far, keep those wedges in the centre of the head, & pull the front end down using a couple of head studs. This will raise the back some more.  Pull the front up again, add more thickness to the wedges & repeat .

Bob

Do not get too energetic on the spark plug side of the head with hard wedges. 

I have seen the step below the plugs broken on a head.  This may have been accentuated by serious amounts of head skimming that thinned the 'ledge' under the plugs.

As ever go carefully.

Create a reservoir with a ring of putty around the rear stud and fill it with penetrating oil. leave over night to trickle in.... or down the side of the head if the 'reservoir' leaks.

Good progress other wise. 

Really intriguing 

a cliff hanger and I have my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:24 PM, roy53 said:

Be interesting to see if the Kano Areokroil works as it has been mentioned as remarkable product on here before.

Roy

Works for me Roy.

039BB5A5-950A-4F72-969B-37C58676FAAC.thumb.jpeg.b10e01a2bcc0889c39459f341f7acf30.jpeg

Mick Richards

On 11/22/2021 at 3:04 PM, Motorsport Mickey said:

Works for me Roy.

039BB5A5-950A-4F72-969B-37C58676FAAC.thumb.jpeg.b10e01a2bcc0889c39459f341f7acf30.jpeg

Mick Richards

Thanks Mick

looks like i need to invest in some soon. Rebuilding at the moment so all taking apart done.

Be interesting to know if he tried it on the head bolt/stud

Roy?