Overdrive oil drain

Hi all, seems wise to change oil; 10 years and 6K miles  since last change I suspect. Question is the large castellated drain plug - is it vital to have a special tool for this or can a way round be found. Also is there a gasket required.

Thanks

Many people fabricate a tool to loosen it off - but try not to apply all the force to just one point, brass isn’t the strongest material - but it is very much easier with the (~£20) tool. Yes there is a fibre sealing washer.

Both available from ORS in Sheffield, and probably elsewhere.

....... Andy 

I used to tap a brass drift gently on the drain plug lugs to remove and replace until many years ago I found a suitable  'C' spanner ( 21/2 - 23/4") at an autojumble. This is made for the job.

Tim

'C' Spanner.JPG

If your running a TR with "A" type overdrive just buy the right tool. When I used to work on Jaguars many years ago those plugs were butchered to death by DPO walloping them with drifts . Correct tool here half way down the page https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/buy-spares.php?cat=A Type Spare Parts List

Stuart.

5 hours ago, stuart said:

If your running a TR with "A" type overdrive just buy the right tool. When I used to work on Jaguars many years ago those plugs were butchered to death by DPO walloping them with drifts . Correct tool here half way down the page https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/buy-spares.php?cat=A Type Spare Parts List

Stuart.

+1 Get the correct tool for the job in this case. It is cheaper than having to buy a new brass plug after you have ruined the old one. It also makes the job a doddle to both undo and tighten the plug. 

Keith